PDA

View Full Version : Question on mixing bulk reef chemicals

Rus
04-18-2010, 03:39 PM
I was hoping someone might know how many cups are in a pound of Sodium Bicarbonate , and Calcium Chloride Dihydrate.

Just trying to do some quick calc. on amounts needed per month for my tank. I'm in the process of switching over to 2 part dosing , and figure it will be much more cost effective using bulk as opposed to premade solutios.

TIA.

BCOrchidGuy
04-18-2010, 10:38 PM
Cheap kitchen scales can be purchased through cooking stores. My partner bought a nice digital one where you can measure grams, kilograms, ounces or pounds and I believe it was about $50 and it will show down to 1/100th of a gram. Her old one was a balance scale type one and we still see them around for $10 here and there. For the conversion to be accurate you need to know the moisture content of the sodium bicarb so it would be best to use an online conversion AFTER you have baked the sodium bicarb in an oven @350-400 for about an hour to an hour and a half. This should remove any moisture from the sodium bicarb. Good luck, if you are using the RHF stuff it worked well for me, just remember to do frequent water changes.

Doug

OceanicCorals-Ian-
04-18-2010, 10:48 PM
Here are our instructions.

http://www.oceaniccorals.com/store/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=122

Tom R
04-18-2010, 11:37 PM
Sodium Bicarbonate usually come in a small box at 500 ml. That is 2 cups as 250 ml equals 1 cup. Most mixes are a cup or 1 1/8 cups per US gal.

I bought a set of cooking measuring cups for $1.00 at the DOLLAR store.

Tom R

Rus
04-19-2010, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the info. Ian ,are you selling the bulk supplies at your store? is so do you stock them or only thru orders?

Doug , what is RHF stuff? did you notice your salinity creeping up on you ? Did you find you needed to do more WC's .I do 30gal every two weeks , so hoping that should suffice .What do you figure.

Thanks

-Russ

OceanicCorals-Ian-
04-19-2010, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the info. Ian ,are you selling the bulk supplies at your store? is so do you stock them or only thru orders?

Doug , what is RHF stuff? did you notice your salinity creeping up on you ? Did you find you needed to do more WC's .I do 30gal every two weeks , so hoping that should suffice .What do you figure.

Thanks

-Russ

Russ,

We stock everything in store, we are out of ALK at the moment but should have some more middle of this week.

We stock bulk;

ALK
Calcium
Magnesium Chloride/Sulphide
Carbon
GFO

BCOrchidGuy
04-19-2010, 09:08 PM
RHF is the Randy Holmes Farley method. If I'm not mistaken he developed the home mix suppliments or at the very least he brought it to our attention. Here is a link to the instructions, it's what Ian linked you to and seeing as they sell the bulk ingredients you may as well buy it all from them. It took me a while to find the Ca and it was about $40 for a bag but one bag would make a lot of concentrate. I'd stick with Ian's stuff as it uses the improved recipe.

Doug