PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Help

Chago09
04-18-2010, 03:47 AM
ok I have a 90 gallon standard 48" tank. I currently run a 6 x 54 watt T5 TEK light system. I want to really grow SPS now so I wanted to upgrade. I have a chance to buy a 400 watt MH 18" pendant. If this was about 18" above the water, would this be a huge upgrade from my T5 and would it be sufficient to grow SPS? or would I be better off buying 2 x 250 watt MH?

My tank has the brace in the middle like most standard tanks. Would this be a conern with the single 400watt?

JenniferL
04-18-2010, 03:51 AM
Sorry to jump in on your thread, but I have the same tank and just purchased a 2X250W MH, should be here next week. Just curious as to what the replies will be:smile:

chris88
04-18-2010, 04:56 AM
2 250mh for sure but i also think with great t5 fixture you would be fine.

viperfish
04-18-2010, 05:18 AM
I have the same tank. I use 2 250 watt Aqua Medic pendants with Phoenix 14K bulbs and I get really good SPS growth and colour. I think 400 Watt would give you heat issues. My lights are about 10" above the water. I keep the Acros in the upper third, Stylos, Digis, and Birdsnests in the middle third, and monti caps in the lower portion. There are a lot more all over the place but you get the idea.

fishytime
04-18-2010, 02:41 PM
no need to switch lighting at all:mrgreen:......Im running 6 bulbs o T5:biggrin:

Chago09
04-18-2010, 03:39 PM
no need to switch lighting at all:mrgreen:......Im running 6 bulbs o T5:biggrin:

I know but I want brighter lights that shimmer. 2 x 250 watts would easily be brighter then my 6 bulb T5 right?

fishytime
04-18-2010, 04:11 PM
you will get that cool shimmer.....but you will also get the heat associated with MH......is your tank on the main floor of your house or in the basement?.....do you have air conditioning?..........the average cost of running a chiller on a tank is $30/month.....all things to consider when running MH.....fyi they do make a retro fit led that replicates the shimmer of MH.....

Chago09
04-18-2010, 04:24 PM
ya tank is in basement and I do have AC. I seroiulsy chillers are rediculous. Have you ever been to a actual coral reef before? The water is rarely ever below 80 degrees. Yet in this hobby we think 79 is ideal. When actually the Great Barrier reef sits from 82-85 degrees. My current 90 gallon sits at 79 without the heater on at all. Its plugged in so at night if it needs to kick on a little it will. MH will raise my temp I figure maybe 2 or 3 more degrees, which again is no concern. People overexagerate heat issues in my opinion and companies did a great job marketing chillers. Unless you have seroius heat issues, like your tank gets up to 88 because you live in California and don't have AC, ok fine get a chiller. As for us Canadians, were all good.

staceyd72
04-18-2010, 04:47 PM
Hi,

I would keep the T5 and retro a LED for shimmer. You will not have an issue growing SPS with T5's. Water quality(stability) and flow IMO is much more important.

Save your money for the new SPS

Oh, and :welcome: to canreef.com

Chago09
04-18-2010, 05:05 PM
Hi,

I would keep the T5 and retro a LED for shimmer. You will not have an issue growing SPS with T5's. Water quality(stability) and flow IMO is much more important.

Save your money for the new SPS

Oh, and :welcome: to canreef.com

really eh, see I have debated this too. So you really think if I upgraded my calcium,magnesium and alk equipment to make sure my husbandry is perfect. That I would have the same fast growth with only a 6 bulb T5HO? Maybe I could add 2 more bulbs or something?

staceyd72
04-18-2010, 10:49 PM
I’m not sure how you maintain your Alk/Ca/Mg, but having a technique in place to keep them in check is important. What are you using for flow, or what is your tank turnover? SPS corals seem to thrive in chaotic, random flow. Nutrients also play an important role; watch your import and export.

Your light fixture is very capable of growing SPS, adding a bulb or two to your fixture is always an option, especially if you’re into DIY.

Start with some of the easier SPS, as you gain experience move up to more challenging species. Some easier ones include, birdsnest, montiporas, and some stags/Formosa‘s .
Take it slow and pay attention to the corals, their behaviour will tell you when something is wrong.

Cheers