PDA

View Full Version : Brown-Gold growth

RobertScott
04-17-2010, 12:42 AM
I’m starting to cycle saltwater tank, a 12 gallon Nanocube. I have about 15 lbs of live rock, with a small red green mushroom, a very small white snall and some tiny (perhaps ½ an inch) red worms with small white hairs/bristles that came with the rock. My parameters are all within range, and the water seems very clear and I have yet to add anything else to the tank. In the last 3 days or so I have seen a flourish of golden brown algae covering small patches of sand (I have about ½ an inch of plain sand / aragonite mix). I’m guessing that it’s some form of diatom growth, maybe an over abundance of silica in the tank? Is there anything reef safe that eat this kind of growth? I have some freshwater experience, but this is my first salt experiment. Also, any thoughts on the red worm? Thanks everyone.

intarsiabox
04-17-2010, 12:54 AM
You are correct about it being diatom growth. Just continue to cycle the tank and do weekly water changes and it will go away on its own. The worms are bristle worms. Generally harmless and scavange excess food in the tank.

RobertScott
04-17-2010, 05:47 AM
Thanks

Aqua Man
04-21-2010, 01:40 AM
I find astreas snails like to clean up the sand, also a sand sifting sea star. But I am not sure they may out grown a 12 gallon tank