PDA

View Full Version : hey canada

sawman
04-16-2010, 07:45 PM
i was just wondering what your pet peeve is .mine is
ADDING TOP OFF WATER EVERY THREE DAYS ...LOL...

BlueTang<3
04-16-2010, 08:04 PM
mine is when my auto top off fails and floods my basement and destroys our tank

The Codfather
04-16-2010, 08:06 PM
Mine is when your buddy's tank crashes and you have to take care of all his fish and coral!! Just jokin' Wes.

whatcaneyedo
04-16-2010, 08:24 PM
Posts that butcher the English language with poor punctuation and sentence structure. Major spelling and grammar errors come a close second.

Seriously, this really bothers me. Normally I have the courtesy to not say anything but you did ask.

MikeInToronto
04-16-2010, 11:16 PM
People who think the clown is the host in the clown/anemone relationship.
People who write, "My clownfish is "hosting in" my anemone." There is no such thing.
People who continue to write, "hosted in" even when they were previously corrected.

rayjay
04-16-2010, 11:26 PM
People who think the clown is the host in the clown/anemone relationship.
People who write, "My clownfish is "hosting in" my anemone." There is no such thing.
People who continue to write, "hosted in" even when they were previously corrected.
Ditto!!

As for complaining about topping off, well I've been topping off all my ten systems nightly for 17yrs now as I don't want the s.g. to change any more than it has to throughout the day.
It's not a pet peeve of mine though.
My biggest is the LFS employees lousy advice to hobbyists that I'm not allowed to correct or I get thrown out of certain stores If I'm caught.

DiverDude
04-16-2010, 11:27 PM
Posts that butcher the English language with poor punctuation and sentence structure. Major spelling and grammar errors come a close second.

Seriously, this really bothers me. Normally I have the courtesy to not say anything but you did ask.

+1 -Drives me buggy !

Samw
04-17-2010, 12:09 AM
Using Fahrenheit instead of metric Celcius on a Canadian forum. Hehe. How ironic that the title of this thread is "hey Canada". :)

dsaundry
04-17-2010, 12:21 AM
No real pet peeves, oh wait, crappy polititians, lousy drivers, ignorant people, the price of gas and oil, my teams not winning the championship, people who nag too much, tax's, lousy neighbours, lousy employee's, lousy customers, lousy delivery people, rude food servers, pushy salespeople, telemarketers, hospital food, lousy weather, people that have too many pet peeves..........:lol::mrgreen:

chwkreefer
04-17-2010, 12:39 AM
I hate it when I make a deal to purchase some corals or frags from a seller and then they decide to sell them to someone else irregardless of the fact that the seller and myself had already made a verbal purchase agreement which includes specific coral(s), price and arrangements for pick up including the day for pick up.

Duffer2
04-17-2010, 02:29 AM
Fish that refuse to be caught. Even after a long talk discussing with them why they need to leave the tank and relocate, they still refuse and hide in the rock like little chickens.

Reef_surfer
04-17-2010, 03:57 AM
Buying equipment from second hand and they say "new,mint condition, nothing wrong" only to get home and it doesnt work i.e pumps not working, heaters failing, sumps,tanks cracking leaking.

if its broke, advertise it or throw it away

I know its always a risk though just a pet peeve

iansfishy
04-17-2010, 04:06 AM
Buying equipment from second hand and they say "new,mint condition, nothing wrong" only to get home and it doesnt work i.e pumps not working, heaters failing, sumps,tanks cracking leaking.

Amen, but dont complain on canreef, its all happy, happy time here!

The Grizz
04-17-2010, 04:07 AM
No real pet peeves, oh wait, crappy polititians, lousy drivers, ignorant people, the price of gas and oil, my teams not winning the championship, people who nag too much, tax's, lousy neighbours, lousy employee's, lousy customers, lousy delivery people, rude food servers, pushy salespeople, telemarketers, hospital food, lousy weather, people that have too many pet peeves..........:lol::mrgreen:

+1 and must add customer's who take over 90 days to pay there bills.

I hate it when I make a deal to purchase some corals or frags from a seller and then they decide to sell them to someone else irregardless of the fact that the seller and myself had already made a verbal purchase agreement which includes specific coral(s), price and arrangements for pick up including the day for pick up.

Have not had this problem but totally agree, when an agreement is made it should be kept.

This is a big one for me as well, bought a MAG 12 pump from a dude in Fort Mac and when it was time to run it, it was screwed.

soapy
04-17-2010, 06:22 AM
My pet peeve is ridiculously over-saturated colour adjusted photos of corals that no longer have any resemblance to reality.

BC Mosaic
04-17-2010, 06:41 AM

+ 1000 ad infinitum (sp?) :redface:

lockrookie
04-17-2010, 08:39 AM
too all those whom dislike butchering the english language.....im sorry i sucked in school:)

my biggest annoyance is ppl selling things but never reply back. you know you where the first to reply or close to it. but they cant be bothered to tell you its sold or that you stink and they would rather sell it to someone else.

sniffles... i just wanna know dangit.. lol

bauder1986
04-17-2010, 01:56 PM
Salt Creep

rayjay
04-17-2010, 01:56 PM
Using Fahrenheit instead of metric Celcius on a Canadian forum. Hehe. How ironic that the title of this thread is "hey Canada". :)
Some of us are so old that Fahrenheit is ingrained in us and Celcius can be very confusing.
While I'm old, I have some limited capacity to deal with both, but as most of my posting is done on threads dominated by americans, I've acquired the habit of posting degrees in Fahrenheit.
I guess that doesn't make much sense really in view of the fact I'm annoyed that the spell checkers on Firefox/and my computer don't give the option for Canadian english such as colour as opposed to color.

BlueWorldAquatic
04-17-2010, 02:16 PM
Funny thing is we use "gallons" and "inches" still commonly in the aquarium world.

Ken

mark
04-17-2010, 02:35 PM

People that don't show up after PM and phone calls made to arrange times (and this has even been when giving away stuff). After a few times of sitting around and waiting, it's now first come first served unless I know the person.

mike31154
04-17-2010, 02:41 PM
Funny thing is we use "gallons" and "inches" still commonly in the aquarium world.

Ken

Very true, but with respect to gallons, we tend to use "US" gallons, rather than "Imperial" gallons, arrrr. So isn't it about time we booted the "Queen" off our money?? Monarchists, I look forward to your emails.....

Seamazter
04-17-2010, 04:28 PM
Clownfish are not nemo fish!
Regal tangs are not dory fish.
My pet peeve.

SmallFry
04-17-2010, 06:39 PM
I'm annoyed that the spell checkers on Firefox/and my computer don't give the option for Canadian english such as colour as opposed to color.

Oh I hear you - drives me absolutely nuts. I'm British, so my spelling is more like the Canadian spelling. I apparently still say "tomato" wrong though :lol:

Once you strip away the political stuff, people will generally use the most convenient unit for the task - feet, inches and gallons naturally fit for the scale of the average aquarium so measurements in feet and inches make more sense than in say, millimetres or a decimal value in metres.

In temperature there's not such a difference, so you see Celcsius and Fahrenheit being used depending on what people are more used to.

When confusion arises, I find Google is very handy for converting units, you just type in what you have and what unit you want it in.

e.g. "25C in kelvin" or "25C in F"

Funky_Fish14
04-17-2010, 08:50 PM
Converting degrees C to Kelvins is easy, just add 273 to the value! (Or 273.149 if you really need to be accurate! Haha).

Degrees F is actually slightly more accurate per degree increase than celcius. For every degree change in F, it is only 5/9 of a degree change in celcius. Although the C scale is more chemically coordinated and makes more sense, the F scale is slightly more accurate by the degree (assuming the thermometer determining each change in degrees is accurate). Im not advocating the use of F, but I dont think its terrible. I use both anyways, but for the majority of calculation purposes I use C.

Dez
04-17-2010, 09:00 PM
People that don't show up after PM and phone calls made to arrange times (and this has even been when giving away stuff). After a few times of sitting around and waiting, it's now first come first served unless I know the person.

I had arranged 2 weeks in a row for someone to pick up a superman digitata that I was holding for them and it has been no show twice now. Very frustrating indeed....argh!!!!

NU-2reef
04-17-2010, 09:03 PM
mine has to be reading/hearing people whine about what they don't like.... oh wait did i just do that:wink:

Zoaelite
04-17-2010, 09:33 PM

Ahah :lol:

Samw
12-30-2010, 01:04 AM
In temperature there's not such a difference, so you see Celcsius and Fahrenheit being used depending on what people are more used to.

What I find interesting is that most, if not all, of us (Canadians) use Celsius for measuring air temperature (all the Canadian weather forecasts/conditions use Celsius) but many Canadian aquarists find it easier or preferable to use F for measuring water temperature.

Lance
12-30-2010, 01:31 AM
Pumps that don't start up again. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Skimmerking
12-30-2010, 01:38 AM
Mine is when your buddy's tank crashes and you have to take care of all his fish and coral!! Just jokin' Wes.
So that who owned all the stuff in your tank when I brought you your Bubble king

Skimmerking
12-30-2010, 01:39 AM
What I find interesting is that most, if not all, of us (Canadians) use Celsius for measuring air temperature (all the Canadian weather forecasts/conditions use Celsius) but many Canadian aquarists find it easier or preferable to use F for measuring water temperature.

Yes Sam that is so true all I know that 78-79 is good

toytech
12-30-2010, 01:43 AM
Im a mechanic and the thing that absolutly fricken kills me is "ever since...".No your tire didnt shread from that oil change , No your car made that squeak before i rotated the tires NOW CRAWL IN A HOLE AND DIE IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT ,IM A FRICKEN TRAINED PROFESIONAL ISINT THAT WHY YOU COME TO ME?
Oh ya the top of thing is kida annoying too .

lastlight
12-30-2010, 01:48 AM
I live by the Fahrenheit, inches and feet. My mind can't handle metric unless I'm talking long distance then I use km lol.

- People who think DE is the same thing as HQI
- Cleaning my filter socks
- Bryopsis
- Edmonton

jorjef
12-30-2010, 01:58 AM
People who can't admit fault, and go to great lengths to deflect.... Major personality flaw.

amoreira
12-30-2010, 05:06 PM
- Global warming skeptics
- Alberta
- RTN
- Aptasia
- Algae (with exception of macro in the sump and phytoplankton).

doch
12-30-2010, 07:17 PM
People who come to Alberta to live and work, and then complain about it.

muck
12-30-2010, 07:26 PM
- Brett

Zoaelite
12-30-2010, 08:04 PM
Ignorance and stupidity.

Also I dislike spandex tight wrapping on new CD cases.

lastlight
12-30-2010, 08:06 PM
- Brett

Ignorance and stupidity

you guys read each other's minds!

globaldesigns
12-30-2010, 08:10 PM
Amen, but dont complain on canreef, its all happy, happy time here!

HEHE, now that is funny... Tread lightly or the Canreefers will linch you!

globaldesigns
12-30-2010, 08:13 PM

Ken

Great point.... My new pet peeve, we are Canadian, so lets do this properly.

My Display tank is 152.4cm X 66cm X 66cm = 681.374120 Litres

Wow, that took me 5 minutes to figure out, googling conversion tools.

Mrfish55
12-30-2010, 09:13 PM
Great point.... My new pet peeve, we are Canadian, so lets do this properly.

My Display tank is 152.4cm X 66cm X 66cm = 681.374120 Litres

Wow, that took me 5 minutes to figure out, googling conversion tools.

Holy schmoly, I have over 6000 liters of salt water in my house! Metric makes it sound like so much more.

ALang
12-30-2010, 09:19 PM
Mine has got to be: soaking and then scraping those nasty algae off the power heads. I soaked mine in vinegar for two days, and still scrubbed until my fingers have no skin left.

The other is algae growth in my tanks. And my "algae eating" tangs, blennies, angels won't touch them. My mexican turba snails do a great job, only on certain spots. It's just like they are saving some for future use or something!

Cost of the light bulbs that we have to replace at least once every 10 months or so.

And there are great stuffs for sale by Canreefers that's always too far for me to get to, and always when I don't have to cash to buy them!

I'm sure that I can think of more, but that's for another day...

no_bs
12-30-2010, 10:18 PM

These 2 quotes say it well

cuz
12-31-2010, 04:01 AM
gonna get flamed but oh well......oversized signatures!!!

...........ahem.........reefw*rs.........:wink:

globaldesigns
12-31-2010, 04:10 AM
gonna get flamed but oh well......oversized signatures!!!

...........ahem.........reefw*rs.........:wink:

Nah REALLY!!!, this isn't that big

Just teasing you :lol:

Zoaelite
12-31-2010, 07:07 AM

People who use redundant terms haha jk :lol:.