PDA

View Full Version : Mushrooms and there Care questions

Fishgirl
04-16-2010, 03:32 PM
Hello,

I recently got a piece of live rock covered in beautiful mushrooms, I am not sure as I have done some reading on the net about there care but allot is so misleading some sites say they will be fine in bright light others say they won't, I have right now on my 33gal a marine Glo T5ho and power glo t5ho. because of the size of the rock they are on they are closer to the top of the tank there is bit of flow not much, is this lighting to bright from them? and once in my main display tank (125gal) where should I put them? can you take them off the rock and place the somewhere else? or will that hurt them by moving them? I have read that they shouldn't be touching eachother and mine are? One of them is hmmm how do I put it? sagging off the rock or looks like its droopy but I touch it and it like sucked itself back up on the rock to they normally hang and look droopy when the light is off and then once on perk up? sorry for all the question just all the information I have read on different sites on the net say all contradicting things I just don't no what is right and what is wrong. i don't want to loose these guys there so pretty. My water parameters are this 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 0 ammonia. PH 8.6 salinity 1.024 temp. 79-80 degrees. 33gal tank with 35lbs of rock, UV staralizer, aquaclear powerhead, Aquaclear 50 with just carbon, I know that its is a small filter but it has been totally fine and I have never had a problem with my water or fish in 4yrs of having it, until a couple of weeks ago when an ananome decided to release its toxin when it was dying. ANYWAY I just need to know about these little mushrooms and how to keep them happy and thriving in my tank thanks.

jenn

mws
04-16-2010, 04:28 PM
Mine like to be in a shaded spot with little or no flow. I have three(each with 4-5 babies) in different color in a group and they all touching each another with no problem.
I don't thing you can peel them of the rock without damaging.

no_bs
04-16-2010, 04:38 PM
We have shroom's about 8" under 150w mh, and they love it. Yet we also have some lower in the tank and they do just fine. As for taking them of the rock you can do it, just have to attach them to another rock(smaller) so you can move them around easier to find the sweet spot. HTH.

tinman
04-16-2010, 04:54 PM
We have shroom's about 8" under 150w mh, and they love it. Yet we also have some lower in the tank and they do just fine. As for taking them of the rock you can do it, just have to attach them to another rock(smaller) so you can move them around easier to find the sweet spot. HTH.
i agree i have some close to the light and and on the bottom,some in medium flow and some not. mine are touching and they just kinda do their thing.

Fishgirl
04-16-2010, 05:03 PM

How do you attach them to another rock? one of my lil guys came off in the move from the store to my tank I just set him on the substrate he seems ok down there, but not attached to anything when I put him on the rock he just fell off? is there away to attach them?

THANKS everyone so far for the information. More info from others is welcome too all the infor I can get would be great :D

ScubaSteve
04-16-2010, 07:05 PM
How do you attach them to another rock? one of my lil guys came off in the move from the store to my tank I just set him on the substrate he seems ok down there, but not attached to anything when I put him on the rock he just fell off? is there away to attach them?

THANKS everyone so far for the information. More info from others is welcome too all the infor I can get would be great :D

To remove them, you just need to peel it's foot off the rock (easy said that done). Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy to do.

Just tie it down to the rock with a piece of string (secure but loose! You don't want to hurt it). It should attach within a day or so. If you're lucky, you can sometimes find a little crack in the rock and just wedge the 'shroom's foot in.

Fishgirl
04-16-2010, 07:25 PM
Thank you so much! I will take my poor little guy that is just sitting on the sand and put him onto a rock tonight:) I am sure he will be much happier I think I will take my poor droopy shroom and move him too I don't think he is liking the bright light to much, everyone else seems just happy and fine:)

Do I need to feed mushrooms some sites say they need supplimental feeding some say they don't if so what do I feed these little guys?

THANK YOU SO MUCH to all of you for helping me out:)

blacknife
04-17-2010, 03:31 AM
Razor blade/chisel

i've removed/fragged a few like that.. they scream bloody murder at me but all ways heal up

they seem pretty indestructible

ScubaSteve
04-17-2010, 04:25 AM
Do I need to feed mushrooms some sites say they need supplimental feeding some say they don't if so what do I feed these little guys?

Not really, they more or less live off of their zooxanthellae (algae). Some you can get to eat (I've seen one even try to eat a clownfish) but most, at least in my experience, don't need to be fed directly. You can try brine shrimp, mysid shrimp and pellets but you'll probably find they won't even take them.

Also, don't worry about the light or the flow too much. Mushrooms can move if they're unhappy where they are and when they do they leave a trail of babies.