PDA

View Full Version : little white starfish

fishdude
10-23-2003, 07:09 PM
Good day fish people.

I have an outbreak of little white starfish in my 120 gal reef. They are about 7 mm across and mostly deformed;meaning that not all the arms = 5 or are tha same size.

They're not posing a problem but just a curiosity. Anyone have this before?

Moved to the main reefing forum

Delphinus
10-23-2003, 07:19 PM
Do a search on Asterina sp. starfish and see if those look like what you have.

Mine eat nothing but algae in my tanks and I have thousands of them in my tanks all over the place. Some people have had some species eat SPS though. I have never had this problem with the ones I have however.

AJ_77
10-23-2003, 07:19 PM
You've got the plague... Some say they're not a problem, and eat algae and whatnot. Others claim they strip coraline algae, leaving ugly whitish blothes where there was purple/red/pink before.

I'm one of their detractors, and pull a bunch of them out every so often. I don't like the blotchy look they leave behind.

Not sure if their (supposed) benefit has ever been documented either...

Delphinus
10-23-2003, 07:43 PM
I don't notice a blotchy look left behind. .. :neutral: :question: Coraline like all things is going to have a ebb and flow and as long as more is growing than is receding I'm pretty happy with that.

Mine have yet to cause me a problem. I generally try to extend the benefit of the doubt towards something, I don't worry about it until I see/know for myself that something is a problem. Problem with going with what other people say is that there are always exceptions and norms and it's not always clear which case is which.

AJ_77
10-23-2003, 08:59 PM
I generally try to extend the benefit of the doubt towards something, I don't worry about it until I see/know for myself that something is a problem.
Well spoken (remember that Tony won't kill ANYthing), but no one is saying "slaughter them quick" or anything like that.

In my tank, where calcium is precious (no nuclear reactor), they are unwelcome, that's all.

:wink:

Buccaneer
10-23-2003, 10:57 PM
In my tank, where calcium is precious (no nuclear reactor)
:wink:

So Alan ... when are we going to assist you in building a " nuclear reactor " ? :wink:

Cheers

Bob I
10-24-2003, 12:25 AM
I go with Alan on this. I feel they are detrimental to my Coraline Algae, so I have hunted them into extinction in my 50. :mad:

monza
10-24-2003, 01:11 AM
Tons of them in my tank. I see no ill effects. When they are easy to grab, I sometimes toss them into my sump.

dave

Canadian Man
10-24-2003, 01:50 AM
Ahhhh Coraline is overated anyway. CORALINE SUCKS!

kari
10-24-2003, 01:57 AM
Lots of them here too. I agree with Delphinus and find no problems yet.

andestang
10-24-2003, 05:34 AM
Ahhhh Coraline is overated anyway. CORALINE SUCKS!
Jonathon I'm shocked :biggrin: I have several of the little buggers, I wish they would keep up with the algae though :rolleyes:

Aquattro
10-24-2003, 05:36 AM
I have a few also and I never noticed them eating coraline.