PDA

View Full Version : Early signs of Cyano

Eb0la11
04-15-2010, 08:49 PM
Frig, I thought I was almost in the clear with nuisance algae as my system is 7.5 months old now but lately I've noticed red slime algae starting to propagate.

I want to get on top of it instantly before it becomes a problem.

I'm going to cut back the amount of food I put in the tank as I think I've been getting a bit too giving in that area and its starting to result in unnecessary nutriets in the water column.

Skimmer is running as per usual.

What else can I do to battle it? I'll be doing water changes perhaps a bit more frequently.

Any other tips? Will my Sand Sifting Goby put a dent in it or will he stay away from those areas?

ElGuappo
04-15-2010, 09:06 PM
i have used back outs in the past. killng your llights for a couple days helps. have used have used products made for this and found black outs work just as well. when you kill the cyno off with meds it eventually turns into hair algae. IME.

Tracey2
04-15-2010, 09:36 PM
Manually remove it without stirring your sand bed and blast it off your rock, lots of flow and keep water perimeteres stable. I am battling this nasty stuff and I can't say that I have won the battle yet but I do find its worse if I let something get out of wack, like mag or kh or if I make any sudden changes like a water change without being sure my new sw matches the tanks. I think the most successful/clean tanks are very stable.

Seamazter
04-15-2010, 10:18 PM
Blasting it will not help.
This will just spread it around your tank and it will grow to be a overwhelming problem.
Best solution is to manually siphon it out of the tank, if it is just a few peices of rock remove them and let the rock die off, otherwise use a hose to suck it all into a bucket, then replace the water after each time.
reduce your light period one hour in the morning and one hour at night.
this will help stop its reproduction.
You can use a very safe reed additive called coral snow, this seems to inhibit it from reproducing as well.
And as well increase the flow in the area where you siphoned the slime from, reposition your power heads and inlets.
In no circumstances use the redslime remover this will certainly make your tank recycle and cause more problems then it solves.

burrows14
04-16-2010, 12:14 AM
Ive had success using coral snow and seachem stability to boost the good bacteria to fight the cyano. I also cut my light down to 4 hours a day for 4-5 days

KennyKen
04-17-2010, 10:33 PM
do you cut all your lights?
i cut my mh, and just running the actinics.
Should i cut those as well?

Seamazter
04-17-2010, 11:52 PM
Cutting the white or 10,000k lights is a big help.
The darker blue lights should be fine as they are not as bright, however a full blackout is not needed, a reduction in the light period is much better for the tank over the long run.
Be sure tho to remove the Redslime as when it dies it creates toxins to your tanks water.

DCDN
04-19-2010, 04:15 AM
I just managed to get rid of mine. I basicly got rid of what I could off the rocks, doing water changes every couple of days and reduced the amount I fed. Most of what I read stated that water quality was a big factor in dealing with it.