PDA

View Full Version : Tank shut down decisions

BMW Rider
04-15-2010, 03:15 PM
I planning a shut down within the next month. No I'm not giving up entirely, I'm just planning to reduce my tank number. This comes with the recent decision to replace our flooring on the main floor of our home. That of course means moving a couple of tanks; the winter tank for the pond fish which is in the nook, and the 50 gallon tank in the living room. The pond tank will have to be kept for next winter, but the 50 is not really doing much for me anymore aside from adding to my maintenance workload. Keeping it would mean two moves which is not at all appealing, and it is not really fitting into the room very well space wise either. Recently I lost a couple of the occupants as well which is kind of the final straw in my decision not to keep this tank.

I plan to keep the stand from the 50, and put the larger 65 gallon tank on it for the pond fish, I may even look for a new tank since that one is not in the best condition anyway. That means the stand from the winter tank and the 50 gallon tank and much of the equipment will be soon listed for sale. I'll also have some live rock to go too.

The big question is the livestock. I'd like to keep them, but part of the plan for the 50 was to keep less than reef safe fish in it. Those would be the flame hawkfish and the coral beauty angel. There's also a devils had leather and a kenya tree in there to move over. My 135 can handle the extra occupant load, I'm just not sure if they'll play nice in there. The only shrimp I currently have is my pistol shrimp and I'm not too worried about the hawkfish bothering it. The bigger question will be the angel and if it will pick at the corals. I all ready have a racoon butterfly in the big tank that I got to wipe out the mojano infestation, which it did, but is now picking at my hammer coral. The pair of pyjamma cardinals are no concern other than for how well they will manage among the current occupants of the big tank. There a rather bullyish domino that likes to think it owns the whole tank.

I'm a bit torn on the direction to go livestock wise, and would appreciate some objective input and experiences. Do I move them all in together and just let things take their course? Do I get rid of some of the fish, if so which ones?

Full list of fish is:

50 gallon

Flame hawkfish (one of my favourite fish BTW)
Coral beauty angel
Pyjama cardinal pair

135 gallon

Yellow tang
Kole tang
Tomato clown
Domino damsel (I wouldn't miss this fish if I could only catch it)
Racoon butterfly (good and bad)
Yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp
Green chromis (last of the original six)
a mix of LPS and SPS corals

lngrhaul
04-15-2010, 06:15 PM
I have a flame hawk and he is good with my reef although I'm told they are not always. he was in a 55 and now in a 180. I have a cleaner shrimp and coral banded but he doesn't bother anything.

the coral beauty is the only issue as they will probably pick at your corals. How much do you really want this one???

If I had to shut down and mix all together I would get rid of the coral beauty and keep the others.

andestang
04-15-2010, 09:40 PM
You had me wondering what you were planning before I read the post, glad not the big set-up. I also enjoyed you pond tank. Are you planning on having the flooring done before the end of summer/early fall ? I personally would get rid of the coral beauty and put the rest in the larger set-up. I also have a Flame Hawk in my larger set-up and no problems (also one of my favorites) Sounds like you my be looking for change anyhow :)

BMW Rider
04-16-2010, 02:19 AM
The flooring will be going in starting in mid May for the tile in the kitchen. Late May to early June will be the hardwood which is going in the living room where the 50 is currently.

I plan to move the pond fish out just before the work starts. The 50 gallon might get shut down sooner since I'll have a rather full load of work to once started and don't need the added task of doing that in the middle of the job.

The Grizz
04-16-2010, 04:45 AM
I have a coral beauty in my 8' tank and it is a model citizen, have never seen it pick at anything in my tank. I would just mix everyone together and see how it goes.

BMW Rider
04-16-2010, 02:36 PM
I have a coral beauty in my 8' tank and it is a model citizen, have never seen it pick at anything in my tank. I would just mix everyone together and see how it goes.

I'm kind of leaning towards this idea too, but I hate the though of having to try to re-catch a fish once its in the big tank.