PDA

View Full Version : how many tangs per tank?

marvinsae
04-15-2010, 02:48 AM
i've got a 65 gallon tang and im considering getting a tang or two. however i only heard u can only keep one? what if they were the same species? i really wanna get a yellow and a pacific blue ....also, if i do purchase tangs, does it matter when i throw them in

PoonTang
04-15-2010, 02:53 AM
With a tank your size, definately only 1, and it better be one of the smaller tang species. Tangs are VERY active swimmers and need alot of space.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-15-2010, 03:14 AM
Especially if its a 3' 65g. I would go with a Kole tang or one of its Bristlemouth relatives. They tend to stay smaller, and not swim as much as other tangs.

Anthony (says the guy with over a dozen tangs:wink:)

naesco
04-15-2010, 03:28 AM
i've got a 65 gallon tang and im considering getting a tang or two. however i only heard u can only keep one? what if they were the same species? i really wanna get a yellow and a pacific blue ....also, if i do purchase tangs, does it matter when i throw them in

What you may have heard is that tangs are swimmers. They love swimming back and forth all day long. Because of this natural behaviour they need the length that longer tanks provide. (six feet).
Your tank is half that size they need so it is better for you to enjoy tangs when you eventually move up to a much larger tank.
In the meantime choose one of the many colourful marine fish available for tanks you size.

Thanks for asking.

fishoholic
04-15-2010, 03:07 PM
What you may have heard is that tangs are swimmers. They love swimming back and forth all day long. Because of this natural behaviour they need the length that longer tanks provide. (six feet).
Your tank is half that size they need so it is better for you to enjoy tangs when you eventually move up to a much larger tank.
In the meantime choose one of the many colourful marine fish available for tanks you size.

Thanks for asking.

+1

Minium 90g for a small tang, 180g is better.

TheKid
04-15-2010, 03:14 PM
I have a friend that keeps his tomini tang in a 40 gallon, and you can tell it's not a happy fish. It always hides in a corner and bites his powerhead.

marie
04-15-2010, 03:20 PM
..... It always hides in a corner and bites his powerhead.

I'm sorry, that's very sad and yet still I laughed :lol:

TheKid
04-16-2010, 02:57 AM
I know tragic and funny at the same time

I'm sorry, that's very sad and yet still I laughed :lol: