PDA

View Full Version : vortech

fran
04-14-2010, 05:21 PM
was wondering if a vortech mp40w es would be too much for a 75g lps and sps i have fine subtrate so that is a factor also...any help would be appreciated

Piscez
04-14-2010, 05:58 PM
Being that it's fully controllable, you can tweak it to how you want it. I had 1 MP40W running in my 72 bow and now have two in my 120Gal with fine subtrat should be no problems.

fran
04-14-2010, 06:13 PM
thanks for you reply piscez-also would you say that yours is loud?

xtreme
04-14-2010, 07:13 PM
I wouldn't say they are loud, but you can definitely hear them running. Especially in pulse mode.

mike31154
04-15-2010, 02:48 AM
I started with one MP40W in my 77 gal and added a second one about a year later. Two are great in there, you should not have an issue with one whatsoever. Each one of mine sounds a bit different. I'd say the newer one is a little quieter. I find neither of them obtrusive with regard to sound, it's there, but generally fades into other ambient noise in the room.

Doug
04-15-2010, 11:55 AM
I have two MP 20,s in my 30g cube sps tank

Piscez
04-15-2010, 01:45 PM
thanks for you reply piscez-also would you say that yours is loud?

There's a lot of gossip about how loud the vortech's are, but compared to what? The whole powerhead of a Koralia is all inside the tank, so obviously it's not loud to us, but what about the fish? Sure the Vortech does make some noise, the higher you have the power set the louder it is, the beauty of having two is you don't have to run them as hard. Mine's set at 75%, one you have to put your head beside it to hear it over say such as my light fans but the other I can hear from 10 ft away barely over the sound of the light fans. About a year ago everytime I put my hand in the tank water it felt like I was getting a slight electric shock, stinging in around my finger nails or around cuts etc, this went on for weeks, then one day I needed to take out one of my power heads for cleaning and when I went in to take out the other I noticed no shock!!! I put the first powerhead back in and WHAM shock & stinging again! Obviously this power head had a voltage leak!!!!! I'm thinking my poor fish! and I had lost a fish or two during that time, can't say definitively if that was the cause but that was it for me! Hence Vortechs. Could they be quieter? Sure! but IMO the positives out weigh the negatives.... multiple modes, complete control of flow, less tank real estate, battery backup available, upgradable. Negatives: debatable noise, price......... I got both of mine from the USA on reefcentral one new, one used and much cheaper............ and flow? Not a single dead spot, even with rock leaning again the back of my tank. I'm certainly no reef expert, infact I'd consider myself a newb still 1.5years, but all the above info regarding powerheads only!! is speaking from experience and in my books that's worth something. Better than stuff like "Oh I heard they are loud don't get one" :rolleyes:

fran
04-15-2010, 09:29 PM
i thank everyone for your imput i have ordered one mp40w.i know i won't be sorry!