PDA

View Full Version : lighting options need help deciding what to go with.

Fishgirl
04-14-2010, 04:30 AM
OK So I now have the live rock pick out I want I will be picking up sometime tomorrow. NOW I need the lights for my aquarium. So the dimentions of my tank are 72 x 20 x 20 I want to do this right the first time pretty much, not really wanting to spend thousands of dollars but want something that is strong enough to keep almost any coral. I was going to go with Current USA system with 12 T5's I think it was 6 attinic blue and 6 white. Anyway I what I would like is to know what some of your favorite lighting is and who it is buy and what you would recommend. If this is double post to something that has been ask I appologize.

Jenn

Milad
04-14-2010, 12:17 PM
sounds like you are in same boat as me with about the same size tank.
i was looking at http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56610yesterday
they dont look pretty but they seem powerful

doch
04-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Check out the Aquatic Life 72" 6 Bulb T5HO fixture. Built in timers, 6 LED moon lights... I'm VERY happy with my 36".

TheMikey
04-14-2010, 04:53 PM
Don't use actinic bulbs to that extent. The benefit of a T5 setup is the sheer customization of the colour of your tank. If you want it more blue, swap out a daylight/white bulb with a 22K. As for actinic, don't use stock bulbs, look around for UVL Super Actinic bulbs. Those bulbs give you the actinic colour supplement but also carry nice PAR values as well. Normal actinic bulbs have marginal PAR values at best so you're essentially wasting a bulb slot for something that isn't going to help your coral.

Fishgirl
04-14-2010, 08:27 PM
I am thinking about the light fixture below has anyone had one of these and are they happy with it? Will this be a good light system?

Aquatic Life 8X39W T5 Light Fixture W/6-LED Lunar Lights - 72"
Price: $759.99

A built in light timer allows hobbyists to control each individual row of bulbs, as well as the lunar LEDs, with just one power cord! Fixtures comes with four 36" 10000K 39Watt Hight Output T5 bulbs to promote bright white illumination that closely mimics sunlight, four 36" Actinic 39Watt High Output T5 bulbs to promote the growth and well being of photosynthetic corals and invertebrates, and six lunar LED lights for low-light viewing of nocturnal behaviour. Tank mounting brackets and an acrylic bulb protector sleeve are included with the fixture to help prevent water damage as a result of water splashing or evaporation. Installation and maintenance guide also included. Fixture measures 70.86in X 10.16in X 3.28in and weighs approximately 23.75lbs. Fixtures may also be suspended above the aquarium using Aquatic Life's T5&PC Light Fixture Suspension Hardware(ASWO#3535, not included).

doch
04-15-2010, 04:13 AM
Hmmm... maybe you took my advice and want more opinions... maybe you didn't read my advice. I'm VERY happy with my 36" version of this light... although I did swap out the bulbs about 6 weeks in, but if you don't plan on diving head first into high light requiring SPS, you'll certainly be fine with the stock bulbs. Truth be told, you'd probably be fine even with the stock bulbs... My SPS were doing fine, I just read that there are better bulbs out there, so I swapped them. You'll love this light.

TheMikey
04-15-2010, 04:54 AM
I've got a 4 x 24W AquaticLife over my nano and I love it. The digital timer is wicked convenient and the PAR to the sandbed (about 16" from light) is enough to keep my SPS frags coloured beautifully with great polyp extention to boot!

It's not in the same league as Sfiligoi or ATI, but it's also well below their MSRP.

globaldesigns
04-15-2010, 05:05 AM
Medhatreefguy has a light just like mine, but is 6 feet long.

The Coralife Aqualite pro is pretty nice... Reason I recommend his, is because it is the length you want. It has 3X 150W MH with Actinic PC and Real 1W moon lights.

most fixtures don't have 1W moon lights

MH, IMO is better for coral, especially if you want SPS

The light is sleak, clean looking and built fairly well.

Just my 2 cents.