PDA

View Full Version : green brittle starfish

marvinsae
04-14-2010, 01:59 AM
is it true u have to target feed them or they will attack your fish? what should i feed him? also when i acclimated him it took me an hour and it moved around freely for the first fifteen minutes. now it's sittin there with his arms curled a bit... should it be ok?

intarsiabox
04-14-2010, 03:09 AM
I have a black brittle star and a striped serpant star. I usually only see them when the lights go out, even then I hardly ever actually see them move. They are scavengers that sift through the sand and rocks so you don't have to target feed them. (I don't it would work anyway). The green ones I've read will ocasionally catch a sleeping fish but I've never had a problem in 3 years with mine.

marvinsae
04-14-2010, 05:16 AM
looks like its arms have un-curled...it looks dead now. hasn't moved.. i picked it up and it didnt move....it's out in the open

tlo
04-14-2010, 07:01 AM
if its not reacting when you touch it, it is dead. Green brittle stars are notorious for being fish eaters - even when they are well fed. Stars are very senstive to acclimation, I usually acclimatize my inverts for a couple hours. It may have been not well when you bought it, seeing as it succumbed so fast.

marvinsae
04-14-2010, 02:20 PM
aw that sucks...i acclimated it for the same time as my damsels...

marvinsae
04-14-2010, 02:31 PM
Wait, i think it might be alive...it is moving it's limbs VERY slowly...at first i thought it was the powerheads but i turned them off...is it sick or injured? what can i do

marvinsae
04-15-2010, 02:18 AM
damnit it's dead! never listening to the guys at the fish store that i went to again, they told me that i only need to acclimate the star for about 15 minutes and he said to acclimate the damsels longer...i should of went with my gut instinct. the damsels were 6$ while the starfish was 20...i should of been more worried about the starfish then the cheap damsels!!!!:twised::twised:

naesco
04-15-2010, 03:33 AM
Sorry to hear you lost your star. Marvin, almost all reefers go through the same think.
Read up and ask here BEFORE you buy and resist the impulse to buy before you do,
A good online site is wetwebmedia.com

DiverDude
04-15-2010, 04:05 AM
The primary issue here is that the animal is dead.

Beyond that, there is a cost issue and if you acclimated it as per their instruction then I would expect either a refund or another animal.

marvinsae
04-15-2010, 04:48 AM
i knew i had to acclimate it but i didnt know for how long, i guess it was an impulse buy. im not worried about the 20 bucks it just sucks that i lost the star fish