PDA

View Full Version : id this crab plz

marvinsae
04-13-2010, 05:24 AM
sorry i dont have a picture but its so tricky to take one...he's about 5cm wide and he is black. always hiding. i've seen him come out once... i THINK the claws are pointy (ive read somewhere that pointy = bad). it was hiding in my buddies LR that he gave me. he boughtthe crab from some store in mississauga that was kinda shady. he put it in with one of his lobsters and he attacked it and killed it the next few days. should i keep him in or take him out? if i should take him out, how would i catch him...

freezetyle
04-13-2010, 05:35 AM
you can catch him using a bottle trap or put some food in a pint glass and set it so he could climb in. chances are you are going to catch a few other crabs too so just pick out the good. take a photo of the bad and put him in your sump until you get a better idea on what he is

marvinsae
04-13-2010, 05:40 AM
what type of food would u suggest...how bout a raw cocktail shrimp?

Zoaelite
04-13-2010, 05:40 AM
As crabs are highly opportunistic I would get him out of there ASAP, you might see small fish and coral disappearing if you don't. As brutal as it sounds sometimes it's worth skewering him with a screwdriver just to kill him fast.

If you do manage to remove him successfully and can't find a home for him (I put all of my evil crabs in my fuge) place him a bag and put him in the freezer, its a quick painless death.

freezetyle
04-13-2010, 06:16 AM
what type of food would u suggest...how bout a raw cocktail shrimp?

should be fine. or if you have any frozen krill, Mysis is too much hassle. I would suggest attaching it to a small rock with an elastic band so it doesn't float out though. do you have any fish yet? if you use the bottle trap you may catch a few of those.

marvinsae
04-13-2010, 02:41 PM
no fish yet. alright i set up a glass cup at 45 degrees against some LR and put a raw piece of cocktail shrimp. hopefully it works and doesnt take too long...