PDA

View Full Version : cycling with cured rock for the first time

marvinsae
04-12-2010, 04:05 PM
has anybody tried this? i've heard that if you cycle with cured rock u wont actually get a ammonia spike, however the tank is considered cycle because the rock is already carrying all the good bacteria... So for me, it's been about over a week after i put around 40lbs of live rock and 60lbs of live sand and i still don't have an ammonia spike. i'm not in no rush any means but my buddy had to get rid of some astrea snails so i put them in my tank and they seem to be doing ok... should i still add a raw cocktail shrimp or do you think my tank is cycled?

BlueWorldAquatic
04-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Ammonia spike will hit in about a month on most cases.

You can lessen the ammonia by using cured rock, but there will always be some die off. But it will help it cycle better.

Also by using mature water.

Products like Seachem's Stability will help the cycle also.

I was never a fan of it until I tried it on a 180gal we set up on boxing day. As of this date we still havent seen a major rise in ammonia.

And this tank is housing SPS, LPS, zoos and fish flawless.

Ken - BWA

loveless
04-12-2010, 05:09 PM
The first time I set up my tank (180 Gal) I used cured rock bought from a LFS and didnt experience an ammonia spike at all. I waited and waited but nothing happened. Never did get any ammonia in that tank. Although it should be noted that the rock was fully cured and when I transported it home it was only out of the water for a max of 1/2 hour.

marvinsae
04-12-2010, 09:07 PM
the rock i purchased was also fully cured, had a lot of coraline algae on it. it was only out of water for about 2 hours so i guess it's not that bad. most likely i won't get a ammonia spike then?

bvlester
04-12-2010, 11:35 PM
I cycled my 55g with Live sand and cured Live rock I didn't have much of a cycle at all no real spikes or algae blooms. I hope you have the same results.

Bill

kien
04-12-2010, 11:44 PM
I can't say that I have ever tried cycling with cured rocks before.. I find it tough enough to cycle with a heavy back pack on and don't even get me started on messenger bags! Maybe if you had a hitch on your bike with one of those Chariot thingies in tow it wouldn't be so bad? :noidea:

freezetyle
04-13-2010, 02:31 AM
I can't say that I have ever tried cycling with cured rocks before.. I find it tough enough to cycle with a heavy back pack on and don't even get me started on messenger bags! Maybe if you had a hitch on your bike with one of those Chariot thingies in tow it wouldn't be so bad? :noidea:

such a funny man :rolleyes: