PDA

View Full Version : 125Gal start up Need some addvice

Fishgirl
04-11-2010, 08:33 PM
Hey just wondering if any of you can help me out I am going to be starting up my 125gal tank, I don't have it drilled so wondering what I need to make this system work well for corals I am not sure what corals i am going to be getting into but want to make this right the first time and not have to spend TONS to upgrade so kinda wanting to do this right the first time sorta speak, lol I know I will have to upgrade a few things but just want to know what i need to start say basic and then add on later type deal. Right now I have the tank stand 2 aqua clear 500's and the heaters so not much any help would be great thank you so much.

Jenn

BlueTang<3
04-11-2010, 09:42 PM
ur going to need a massive flow improvement or u will be fighting algae problems and well its probably at least 20" deep so u will need a pretty decent light if u are talking corals and well deltec makes the only decent hang on the back skimmer i have seen thats any good but if u keep the bio load down it is not a asset but imo the aqua clears are useless in saltwater unless u can commit to clean then regularly and only run filter floss in them for water clarity but what from i learned save up and buy good quality stuff to start it will save u from wanting better down the road good luck

xtreme
04-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Are you opposed to drilling it or just wondering if it would be worthwhile? I would highly recommend drilling it and getting a sump if that is an option for you.

blacknife
04-11-2010, 09:57 PM
Look at some of the other big tank builds in the tank journal threads and see what they have done and what kind of results they get.

There will all ways be upgrades. You either shell out to get all the good stuff at the start or start slow and low tech and upgrade what you need when you realize you need it.

I started without a sump on my 33 but i did not put it on a stand. when i decided to upgrade the tank i ended up buying a used rig and moving everything. Leave room under your stand that you can make a use of a sump if you change your mind later, when you get sick of looking at all your equipment hanging into the tank.

globaldesigns
04-11-2010, 10:20 PM
Hey,

do you have your light yet, as stated by others, you should look at a good light. I just replaced mine with a new model that is the same length as the tank, so my other light is for sale. Maybe you are interested?

You can see it when you come get the garlic and vitamins.

Rick