PDA

View Full Version : Hmmmmm....

Doug
04-11-2010, 05:03 PM
:suspicious: So after 30 + yrs. I still dont have this figured out.

First we strive for low nutrients when starting. Then its not low enough, so we use one of the UNLS systems or now bio pellets and so forth.

Then its to low and our fancy sps dont colour up enough. So we are told to add more fish and feed more. :doh:

And in between we purchase skimmers that cost the same as my Focas. :lol:

I,m just saying.

Aquattro
04-11-2010, 05:18 PM
I hear ya Doug, I hear ya......

globaldesigns
04-11-2010, 06:33 PM
HEHE, isn't it a vicous circle of events?

Delphinus
04-11-2010, 07:50 PM
Yeah, I'm hearing you on this one as well. It's like a little microcosm of the generations, ie., where every generation has to sort of figure things out for themselves and it's starts by rebelling against the ideals and notions held by the previous generation .. so that you end up with a flip-flop effect where things seem to match closer to "TWO" generations ago ... except in this case, for the hobby, about 2 or 3 years constitutes as a "generation".

In this case each generation also gets subsequently better funded, so the toys get more expensive.

StirCrazy
04-11-2010, 07:55 PM
Then its to low and our fancy sps dont colour up enough. So we are told to add more fish and feed more. :doh:

I have never heard of this, or had a problem with color with low nutrent.

my thought is this new fancy chemical fix that everyone is trying to use, is stripping something else from the water that you want to keep.

Steve

BCOrchidGuy
04-12-2010, 04:10 PM
Me thinks someone somewhere must be making money off of all this confusion

Doug (the other Doug)

Skimmerking
04-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm that is why i went to Lps and Softies.

lockrookie
04-12-2010, 06:04 PM
mostly its geared towards newbies like me...try this and you have an instant reef... its like i was a kid and wanted to order the sea monkey grow kits from the back of my archie double digest.

i wanted to BELIEVE

or how about this product
http://www.usedregina.com/classified-ad/10723403

DiverDude
04-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Heheh...hilarious. I'll bet if I put a hoop and a soccer field in a tank with a goldfish and waited with a camera long enough, I too could get pictures of what appears to be a fish doing tricks.

Lance
04-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Doug, I think it all boils down to this......... "None of us know what the hell we are doing, so we jump at every new product that comes out claiming to be the answer to all our problems". :redface: