PDA

View Full Version : live rock

toorjag
04-09-2010, 06:25 PM
how long can live rock stay out of water for

bvlester
04-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Quite a while I put wet nespaper on top of it and it is good for a long time they transport the stuff from down south this way and it comes in with alot of good live stuff on it. so I'd say 12 hours or more. The wet newspaper keeps the moisture on the rock so it will not dry out.

Bill

outacontrol
04-09-2010, 10:02 PM
the longer it is out of warm oxygenated flowing water the more die off there will be.
during shipping there is stuff that dies in / on the rock, therefore the need to cure it when you receive it.
try not to keep it out of water any more than needed. you can keep it a rubbermaid or pails, it does not need to be in a tank.

bvlester
04-09-2010, 10:22 PM
i was just providing the info he asked for I am sure that he knows he can just keep it in a pail of saltwater indefinitely. this also has it's down side as if there ia no circulation or heater you will have die off also. then the need for cycling the rock becomes an issue. Before they started shipping with wet newspaper on the rock the die off was substantial now a days it is minimal and a lot of times the cycle time is short for newly imported rock.
We now see a lot more hitch kickers than we did in the 1990's because they now ship with newspaper.
Any LFS that has been around for a while can attest to this.
Bill