PDA

View Full Version : Can someone confirm this - Elos Alk Test

wayner
04-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Just switched to this Test kit for Alk - instead of using 5 ml of water in the tube, can I use 2.5 ml in the tube and that would make it 1 drop = 1 DKH?

so, 2.5ml of water - add 8 drops, get color change - alk = 8dkh

Thanks, I flunked chemistry.

xtreme
04-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Ya that should work, I have done it before.

soapy
04-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Try it both ways and if the results are the same then you have proven that it works equally either way... no?

wayner
04-09-2010, 06:49 PM
I have and the results are equal - I guess elos just wants me to buy more regent from them cause you save alot by doing it the 2.5ml way. :biggrin:

Delphinus
04-09-2010, 08:09 PM
That's a good idea!

You know that some marketing genius was behind that change. Let's dilute the reagents 50%, give the same volume as before, present it as an "improvement in resolution" and increase the price. Yay for marketing!

wayner
04-09-2010, 08:19 PM
I thought I'd ask Rany-Holmes Farley for his opinion:

Yes, you can adjust volumes in titration kits, but reducing the volume by half increases the uncertainty in the result by a factor of two. That may be a trade off you like, however. You can also go the other way, and make the answer more precise, at the cost of more reagents.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef
Last edited by Randy Holmes-Farley; Today at 01:36 PM.

globaldesigns
04-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Just switched to this Test kit for Alk - instead of using 5 ml of water in the tube, can I use 2.5 ml in the tube and that would make it 1 drop = 1 DKH?

so, 2.5ml of water - add 8 drops, get color change - alk = 8dkh

Thanks, I flunked chemistry.

That is also what I do with that kit, good way to stretch out the kit and make it last longer.

If you use the MG Elos test kit, cutting things in half doesn't seem to be accurate for that one though, I found mixed results trying to stretch the MG kit, so I just do what it says.

Sunee
04-09-2010, 09:59 PM
That's a good idea!

You know that some marketing genius was behind that change. Let's dilute the reagents 50%, give the same volume as before, present it as an "improvement in resolution" and increase the price. Yay for marketing!
My new test kit had a bottle twice the size of the previous one, not the same size. Maybe I was lucky!!