PDA

View Full Version : Sump: over/under/over? or the other way?

MikeInToronto
04-09-2010, 01:33 PM
I only have 3 pieces of glass for baffles for a bubble trap. I've added 2 and now I don't know where to put the last one. Am I supposed to have over/under/over like I've been reading or is it under/over/under?

Like I said I only have 3 baffles so even though 5,7,9,101 might be better, what's the right configuration for 3?

Thanks for help. I included drawings of both.

banditpowdercoat
04-09-2010, 01:46 PM
Over/under/over works better, because the 2 overs mean more area for micro bubbles to rise to the surface

TJSlayer
04-09-2010, 01:48 PM
I actually thought it was the other way so the bubbles stayed at the top while the water was forced under...so I would say under over under...

I could be wrong but that is what I thought...

banditpowdercoat
04-09-2010, 02:12 PM
In your 1st chamber, be it tank drain, or skimmer outlet, the water/bubbles usually get forced down to the bottom due to flow of the drain etc. So, if you now have to go UP and over a weir first, that makes the bubbles want to come out more there. If you went under first, you would be drawing the bubbles off the bottom, right from the direct drain stream, and only have one over baffle for the bubbles to escape.

Mind you, there is all sorts of scenarios etc. What may work in one sump, may not work as well in different sump config

superduperwesman
04-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Yeah I say under over under over so most of your micro bubbles get trapped in the first chamber b/c they're at the top and the water is going out the bottom

banditpowdercoat
04-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Like I said, in my sump, all the bubbles go to the bottom first. My first chamber is under/over. It was built when I got it, and I watch the bubbles come from tank drain and right under the 1st baffle

kien
04-09-2010, 02:33 PM
I have seen both styles used with success. I honestly don't know which one is better, but I'm an over-under-over guy myself :biggrin:

Rogue951
04-09-2010, 03:03 PM
If you plan on having a refugium in there then u have to go over under over.

MikeInToronto
04-09-2010, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I won't be using a refugium. This tank is small so I'm not getting too deep into the build until I get a larger tank. This one is just for practice. I've been out of the hobby too long so I'm trying to relearn what I've lost (or what's changed).

I'll go with over/under/over which was my original plan. I stopped after attaching the second baffle because I starting doubting myself.

Originally I only installed one baffle and had the sump running but on a whim this morning before work I emptied the sump and cleaned it for the extra baffles I had cut but never used. One baffle was fine but there were some bubbles getting in the tank and now I want them gone. I also want to stop using filter socks and sponges.

MikeInToronto
04-10-2010, 11:23 PM
I got the baffles installed and I put the sump back in place, ready to fill it next morning when the silicone was cured. I also rerouted one of my drains so they all dump into the skimmer compartment. Everything was fine and I was heading to bed. I looked in the tank and the anemone looked shriveled but I figured it was "changing water" so I left it.
I woke up and took another look. The anemone was a little larger but still unhappy. I felt the water: cold. "How can this be? I placed the heater in the DT!" Well putting it in is fine. Plugging it in is usually helpful.
Anyway, I threw the heaters in the sump, emptied the stored water into the sump, threw on the return pump and hoped.

Everything was fine. The temperature had dropped to somewhere around 65 so I guess it wasn't too bad. It took a couple hours for it to reach above 70 and I could see the anemone changing as it got warmer. It's doing great again.

As for the bubble trap, it works well enough. There are still micro-bubbles and it seems these are still there even when nothing is running but the VorTech in the tank. I can't figure out where they come from but it doesn't matter. They don't really bug me and there aren't many. One day I may find the cause.

banditpowdercoat
04-11-2010, 12:43 AM
Temp dropped to 65!!! WOW, that's a little cold for sure. Hope everything is ok

MikeInToronto
04-11-2010, 01:25 AM
Temp dropped to 65!!! WOW, that's a little cold for sure. Hope everything is ok

Everything is fine, thanks for asking. The E. yaeyamaensis (frogspawn?) is getting bleached but that's because it's right under the MH. I know that has nothing to do with the temperature but I felt like sharing.

kien
04-11-2010, 02:54 AM
There are still micro-bubbles and it seems these are still there even when nothing is running but the VorTech in the tank. I can't figure out where they come from but it doesn't matter. They don't really bug me and there aren't many. One day I may find the cause.

How high up is your Vortech? What I noticed a little while back is that if my powerhead is a tad too high that it will occassionally cause a vortex and slurp some air into the powerheads intake. The powerheads then dices the bubble and generate microbubbles. It happens so fast that unless you are standing there for a long long time watching and waiting for it you won't notice it.

MikeInToronto
04-11-2010, 03:29 AM
How high up is your Vortech? What I noticed a little while back is that if my powerhead is a tad too high that it will occassionally cause a vortex and slurp some air into the powerheads intake. The powerheads then dices the bubble and generate microbubbles. It happens so fast that unless you are standing there for a long long time watching and waiting for it you won't notice it.

It's actually really low. It's in the exact centre on the back panel (48x21) and it's under the overflow box. I'm not even sure they are bubbles. They could even by tiny little bits of dust from the sand bed. Every so often the pump blasts and moves the sand a little. It's on Reef Crest mode I think, and that's random. It's no problem. I don't spend much time looking at the tank anymore, anyway. After the build, the rest is boring now. But I do like my anemone.