PDA

View Full Version : Interesting thread on the topic of Valonia removal...

Quinn
10-21-2003, 07:35 PM
Some statements here confirming what I've wondered about all along... do Valonia really contain spores? Is it safe to pop them?

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=250365

Delphinus
10-21-2003, 09:08 PM
I always thought they did (contain spores). That said, sometimes I pop them by accident trying to remove them, and it doesn't appear to be the end of the world. (I just try to avoid it, but sometimes that's not always possible.) But with THAT said, I do have valonia all over the place. It's always nice (and by "nice" I mean to say, of course, "not nice") when someone comes over and you're trying to show them some coral or something but they just fixate on this green shiney ball thing and they're like "WOW!!! What is that" and you're like "Um ... never you mind the shiney little marble things."

I have tried emerald crabs. Just like any other animal I've ever purchased in the hopes that it will hopefully keep "Algae X" under control ..... they don't touch the stuff. (Why am I so lucky getting into all these exceptional cases?)

To be fair, I am referring to the marble sized valonia and I think the emeralds are only good for the really wee ones. But you'd think the bigger ones started off as smaller ones? I don't know how that works. Basically, all of a sudden, there will be these marble size valonias somewhere and I say to myself "some day I ought to remove that" and so on. But I don't really see the small pieces anywhere so maybe the crabs are helping. Of course there are spots the crabs can't get at, such as underneath a powerhead or something like that.

I noticed a dramatic increase in valonia production after introducing a Ca reactor and I have to wonder if the extra CO2 has something to do with that.

Buccaneer
10-21-2003, 09:20 PM
when someone comes over and you're trying to show them some coral or something but they just fixate on this green shiney ball thing and they're like "WOW!!! What is that" and you're like "Um ... never you mind the shiney little marble things."

" never you mind the shiney marble things " ROFLMAO :razz:

I pointed at it and said ... hey ... you got valonia :razz: < j/k >

Cheers

dekay
10-21-2003, 09:50 PM
Interesting, anyone wanna try it out?

Quinn
10-21-2003, 09:57 PM
I already have. I had three during the summer and I popped them all... haven't seen one since.

Speaking of Valonia, is Wei Guy planning to sell that monster one in his softy tank? Everytime I visit it has grown.