PDA

View Full Version : More predictable Skimmer???

ickmagnet
04-08-2010, 04:11 PM
I have my Beckett skimmer in my sump (just resting above water line actually) and have the pump (mag 18) submerged. I don't have an ATO system (not enough room for it) and change the water manually everye 4-6 days to bring it back to the right water level. The problem is, any time there is a change to the water level in the sump, the skimmer goes crazy and will fill up the waste collector at an alarming rate ( this has resulted in waste overflow on a few ocassions). Other times, i will have to adjust the gate valve to increase the skimmate level. In any event, there is always some adjustment required.

Is there a skimmer out there that doesn't have these types of problems i.e, will produce at a constant rate despite water level?

Madreefer
04-08-2010, 05:10 PM
I can't comment on your skimmer. I've gone threw a few from good to excellent and each one I had the same problems as you. The only way I was able to solve it was with a ATO. I know you don't have room but it was one of the only ways to keep the skimming consistent

whatcaneyedo
04-08-2010, 05:44 PM
When you add a lot of fresh water at a time you're not only changing the water level in your sump you are also changing the density of the saltwater in the system which will affect the skimmers performance more severely than the water level.

Are you not able to replenish the evaporated water daily rather than every 4-6 days?

I've been running a Precision Marine Bullet skimmer for the past three years and I've only adjusted it twice in the last year. Once when I changed the pump on it and another time when my big clam died.

ickmagnet
04-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Sounds good. I guess I'll add the water every 2nd day and see if that helps.

04scoobysti
04-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Or you could add a baffle between the skimmer section and the return pump to keep the water at a consistant level even with evap. You could still top up every 4-6 days depending on the volume of the return section. Like others said, best to top-up daily or have an ATO

bvlester
04-08-2010, 07:59 PM
when you add your water you can turn the skimmer off for 2 hours and then it should not go nuts on you.

Bill

ickmagnet
04-08-2010, 08:53 PM
OK, I'll try all of those suggestions.

here is another idea. Don't know if it will make any difference

What if I use my external barracuda pump to power it instead of the mag 18? It is currently throttled back so that my tank can keep up with it

Would this help at all? probably not

Madreefer
04-08-2010, 10:40 PM
What if I use my external barracuda pump to power it instead of the mag 18?

Don't think that will work. Will have to get really creative with plumbing that in. Plus the Barracuda is 4500gph. ATO does'nt really take up that much room if you use a small resevoir. As another member posted it's better to top up more than every 4-6 days. I would try every day.

ickmagnet
04-08-2010, 10:45 PM
My tank is 5 ft long and the sump is 3 feet long. the remaining space is taken up by my barracuda pump so what i did was build a little shelf above the pump to fit a bucket for the ATO. What ended up happening was that a siphon was created (because bucket was higher than the sump). So, I abandoned the whole idea. I'm trying to keep the room as tidy as possible and a bucket outside of the stand will look unsightly.

So...I'm going to add water manually every other day at first and then every day if this doesn't work.

Thanks