PDA

View Full Version : Cracked tank bottom, Help!!

Keana
04-08-2010, 04:54 AM
The bottom of my tank cracked. Is it easy to repair and how would one do that? I've got things in buckets and so on... But I am at a cross roads here. I am very frustrated at the moment as this is not how I wanted to spend my evening and when it comes down to it I am very busy and find I have not so much time for this. I really loved the new tank for the couple of days I had it up but now that is gone. I am not sure if I want to continue or just sell off what I can and move on.

So who can tell me what I am up against here? Do I need to replace the whole bottom glass or what? Maybe buy new tank, maybe sell everything off. Very frustrated. It was a mistake I think.... I think we did not drill the hole on the bottom of the stand wide enough for the pipe running out the bottom of the tank and the very little bit we were off caused pressure and cracked the tank bottom.

dsaundry
04-08-2010, 05:08 AM
That is definately a bummer, yes the glass should be replaced, but if it is a really old tank i would advise a new one. How big was the tank? Maybe there are a few fellow reefers who could take care of your livestock in the west end area, I would but I am way the heck out in Chilliwack. Good luck...

Sebae again
04-08-2010, 06:23 AM
Try not to stress out. Get a large Rubbermaid container, the sooner the better, place your rock and corals in it with a powerhead and heater and rig your light overhead.You can keep them like this for a long period of time. This will give you time to deal with getting another tank when you have time.

monocus
04-08-2010, 06:30 AM
the crack could have been caused by no support under the glass-it may be possable to silicone another piece of glass on the inside bottom with a new hole cut out-as it is i don't think it was from your drain as your bulkhead already fit through the hole

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-08-2010, 07:33 AM
For your piece of mind & due to lack of time, probably better off buying a brand new tank. It's a PITA to cut out & properly reseal a new sheet of glass into a broken tank, especially on the bottom pane.

Anthony

no_bs
04-08-2010, 07:37 AM
Wow that sucks Kean, We'll talk to you later. But get things in place, heater, power heads.

Keana
04-08-2010, 02:44 PM
I was hoping to wake up this morning with a clear idea of what I was wanting to do. Sadly, just as frustrated as when I tried to go to sleep last night. I keep coming back to the same thought that I really don't have the time to do this properly. I have a couple of different jobs I do and a great many projects related to them that keep me active. But I was really happy with the tank for the last couple of days and I could see how in 6 months when everything settled into the new tank and new lights that things would have been stunning! I had no intention of leaving the hobby a couple of days ago or even one second before this happened. But now, again, I think I don't have the time and I should just move on. I got powerheads and heat on before going to bed. Today I will be setting up my old tank again but the stand no longer fits it so the tank will be one the floor. Things will be okay. If i am to get out I will be listing things for sale later today and hope to wrap it all up as soon as possible.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-08-2010, 10:23 PM
Keana,

What size is the tank that broke?

Anthony

madkeenreefer
04-08-2010, 10:37 PM
just go out to your LFS and get another tank. a 27gl should'nt be to hard to find at a LFS that will drill it well you wait or call in advance . Much easier the fixing a cracked tank of that size.
If your stand is not right try to correct it and ensure your flat and level befor to fill the new tank.

Keana
04-09-2010, 01:59 AM
the tank is a 40 gal. nice looking tank or at least it was.

Diana
04-09-2010, 02:35 AM
Aw that sucks. Well, I just wanted to mention that Raf & I have "emergency services" and we could always come out in a jiff (anytime!). I would suggest just getting a new tank, especially a 40 gallon, due to cost. Its just not worth the hassel and headache to replace or repair the bottom payne. If you needed an extra hand setting up/tearing down I am sure there are lots of canreefers that would help, as could we. :)

And there is nothing wrong with taking a break from reefing. Sometimes it allows time for motivation and inspiration to build up. ;)

-Diana

Sebae again
04-09-2010, 02:57 AM
Chowder has a drilled 40 gal for sale.

plutoniumJoe
04-09-2010, 02:57 AM
Sorry to hear about your mishap. If you get a new tank and you are available on Saturday I would happily help you drill a new hole. I have bits for 3/4 - 1.5 inch bulkheads.

Just pm me if you need to.

Keana
04-09-2010, 03:47 PM
There has been a lot of offer of help. Thank You to everyone. I have a bit of a busy day ahead but hopefully this afternoon I will be able to take stock of things and come to a clear decision on what to do. I know that I will really miss my tank and there are a couple of corals I have that will really make me unhappy to see go. But it is also for them that I am thinking to sell.

Keana
04-10-2010, 08:31 PM
I have thought about it constantly and to give it up would make me very unhappy. I love the beauty of a reef tank and it gives me little moments of tranquillity during my work day. So I will move forward and get things resurrected, into a new home and a new start.

OceanicCorals-Ian-
04-10-2010, 08:37 PM
I have thought about it constantly and to give it up would make me very unhappy. I love the beauty of a reef tank and it gives me little moments of tranquillity during my work day. So I will move forward and get things resurrected, into a new home and a new start.

:nod:

Keana
04-13-2010, 12:04 AM
There have been losses and it isn't ever yet! However I have started on the road to rebuild the reef. The 40 was a beautiful tank and was exactly what I wanted but now I am in a 30 gal cube and its nice. Still an improvement over the 27 gal tall. So the story isn't over yet. The tank is in a horrible shape! I have lost some coral. So in a few weeks I will be looking for outstanding corals. Please let me know if you have any frags. As the space will be limited I will be looking for show stoppers in colour. Mostly sps but I do love some lps.

BYe, kean