PDA

View Full Version : Phyto- To buy or to grow?

zum14
04-07-2010, 08:50 PM
That is the question. Ive been looking into either growing or just buying live phyto for various reasons, reef food, pod culturing and such. But the thing is there is a lot of people that are doing it and having a great time, no problems, but then there is a lot of people out there that had a terrible time with it. People that know a heck of a lot more then i do on the subject and still having cultures crash. I have pretty bad luck as it is and am not sure im willing to gamble on 50/50 odds like that. Theres a supply for live phyto in town for 500ml its 23$. hes also has live rotifers too for the same. So im sitting here trying to decide wether its worth the effort, extra juice to run lights, extra salt for the water, and all the time, or just buy the stuff, feed everything and keep the sanity. Oh also i seem to be having trouble tracking fertilizer down, some guys say miracle grow but i dont like the sounds of that. Ive heard it has a lot of heavy metals in it. Thanks. Interested in hearing opinions.

Dyspnea
04-07-2010, 09:51 PM
I used to grow it wasn't all that difficult. I bought a whole kit the culture and the culture food. It was very easy todo. You jus needed a couple 2l bottles and a single light bulb and Air pump. You just had to make sure between batches that you cleaned and sterilized your equipment.

Never had any problems.

monocus
04-07-2010, 09:58 PM
i rather grow my own-you can get culture starters at florida aqua farms+fertilizer,roterfer eggs etc .plus it helps to pick up their plankton culture manual.i've used miracal grow with no problems.the problem with store bought planktons is that they are most likely not alive-you have to shake them once or twice a day and i can't see store staff taking the time to do that-i usually buy 3-4 different cultures,3 roterfer eggs and roto-rich and their fertilizer for under $100 us delivered.if you are in the vancouver area you can borrow my culture manual

hillbillyreefer
04-08-2010, 01:32 AM
Grow your own. $23 for 500 ml will add up quickly. It really is not hard to do. Probably one of the easiest DIYs in this hobby.

zum14
04-08-2010, 05:53 AM
Grow your own. $23 for 500 ml will add up quickly. It really is not hard to do. Probably one of the easiest DIYs in this hobby.

Really? well i hope so cause i think im going to at least try it. There are a few posts on this site that say the exact opposite of what your saying though. Im going to try to keep things very clean, expect to have a few crashes but at least give it a fair try. Its still tough though cause there is a lot to learn, watching the densities and such for splitting, watching to make sure theres no bacteria. Its going to take some patience. Thanks.

monocus
04-08-2010, 06:14 AM
ask jeff at j&l about putting trace elements or stronium in your culture to avoid crashes

Madreefer
04-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Theres a supply for live phyto in town for 500ml its 23$. hes also has live rotifers too for the same

May I ask where in town?

zum14
04-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Its on the live food list from allan at Allclear. If you pm me your email i can email what he sent me.

So anyone know if there is culture kits from somewhere in canada? Florida aqua farms is telling me $56 to ship a starter kit and a few brine shrimp eggs. Its only 8lbs. Seems a little pricey.