PDA

View Full Version : should i upgrade?

spikehs
10-21-2003, 01:57 AM
got a bit of a dilema.. after hearing venkiw prices for the electronic ballasts on the 250 and 400 I am seriously considering upgrading my light. But the thing is I don't really NEED it. I have a 55gal with a 175 tripple balast - plenty of light, but i figure when I upgrade my tank, if i have these lights its one less thing to worry about (and spend $$). I was just wondering do electronic balasts save that much more energy then the regular ones? I read somewhere that its quite a bit it energy savings.. would 2 400w bulbs be a bit of overkill? I figure so, but if i stagger the lighting then everything should be ok correct? I guess I am just in need for some convincing! :mrgreen:

StirCrazy
10-21-2003, 03:11 AM
I think it would take close to 6 years for a electronic ballast to save enuf energy to offset the aditional cost.. I think that was at california electricity costs also.. so here it would take 12 years. sounds a little high so we can say 8 years is what I figured it out to be on my energy costs.

Steve

venkiw
10-30-2003, 04:03 PM
My e-ballasts save you cost from day 1, as they are cheaper than most Magnetic Ballast sold in LFS.

Venki

StirCrazy
10-31-2003, 02:18 AM
I don't think this part of the forum is the proper place to solicity sales of your products. I may be wrong and if so accept my apoligies.

Steve

robbyville
10-31-2003, 03:29 PM
Steve is quite right in regards to energy savings. I think that most people at this point don't really look at that aspect since it would take an extremely long time to make up for the additional costs (Which seem to be much better now!)

I would probably look more towards the fact that E-ballasts, run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently although I'm not sure if they extend the life of the average bulb.

That being said, I don't run E-Ballasts yet as I felt that the cost was prohibitive. When I upgrade next there is no doubt in my mind that if venki's systems have good reports from users that I would buy them, even if it was just to save space.

You know, I understand your desire to upgrade in order to save later, but I also have to wonder if the ballasts will come down in price with time, similar to computer equipment. That at least would give you some variety. Now all I have to do is follow my own advice... I also was watching the thread on his equipment and my wife has had to stop me twice from ordering a new 400w system (My dual 250w is only 3months old) :biggrin:

Good luck,

Rob

Son Of Skyline
10-31-2003, 06:41 PM
I'm guessing that electronic ballasts will draw less amperage. If this is the case then I'm assuming that it will be less stressful on your circuits. This may be something to think about if you upgrade in the future and you're close to running out of available power.

I know my monstrous Son Agro ballasts draw alot of power. If I plug in an additional Mag pump to the circuit, the breaker will trip. I'm wondering myself whether I should go to electronic ballasts so I can save some power for other things like a closed loop pump or something.

I swear, if I were to ever unplug my tank and call it quits, all the street lamps on my block will burn a little brighter :lol:

spikehs
10-31-2003, 06:51 PM
ha, probably a lot brighter! I hadn't though that it'll fill up the circut less, definately a plus!