PDA

View Full Version : Majestic Angel or Emperor Angel

Fishgirl
04-06-2010, 06:57 PM
I am just wondering I am in the process of getting a majestic angel and an emperor angel Both are juv's the emperor still have all juv color the majestic is full adult color, only problem I am having is deciding which to keep. The reason I am getting both is because the person I am getting them from one sell me just the majestic it has to be both. So I figured I will buy both and sell the one I decide not to keep. I will be getting a 125gal tank soon possibly this weekend it is mine just at my mothers in medicine hat, but right now I have just a 33gal lots of live rock in it, these 2 are 3-4in and are apperently very heathly. Which of the two should I keep I am just starting to get into more expensive fish, I have been doing saltwater for over 4yrs so not completely new but still new. lol. if that makes sense. So I guess my biggest issues are

which of the two is more of a hardy fish?
which would be a better fish to keep with inverts? I know both are pretty much a causion when putting in reef, but I am not there yet, so if that time comes I will decide then if I will keep the fish I go with.
SO any other reason you guys/gals can give me for either fish to help me decide which one to keep would be awesome. I want the Majestic my hubby wants the emperor lol. So thought I would get some information from ppl that have some experience and feed back and see what you fish ppl think. Thank you in advance for your help.

Jenn

RIPTANK
04-06-2010, 07:46 PM
The majestic is a very shy fish and the emperor is still quite small. I don't see any reason why you can't keep'em both because you are getting the 125 gal tank soon so there will be plenty of space. I would just caution on getting any LPS corals like hammers, torches and brains 'cause the emperor is likely to nip on them. The majestic is a really sweet angel and minds it's own business but tends to get picked on by other fish. Why don't you keep'em both and then sell the emperor for a higher price down the road when he's adult size. A full grown healthy emperor can fetch between $150-$300.

Anyways, they're both very hardy fish but like tangs, they're just as capable of catching ick so be sure to have a good filter system.

BTW: thanks Jenn for lightening up my load of live rocks. It was really nice to meet you and your hubby. Man, that was a really kick ass truck!

Fishgirl
04-06-2010, 08:56 PM
Ha Ha no THANK YOU my lil 33gal looks so nice now with all that rock, and my fish are ALOT happier now! By the way thank you for that comment on my truck, I'll be sure to tell the hubby that one as he is always bugging me for owning a dodge lol he drives a nice little FJ, but I like my truck it could run his over he he. It was really nice meeting you and thank you for the great advice.

WuHT
04-06-2010, 10:10 PM
I dunno about selling large angels.... by the time they grow that large i'd imagine you'd be attached to them emotionally

Piscez
04-07-2010, 02:04 AM
I have both, I've had my emperor for just over a year and my Majestic for just over 2 weeks. The Emperor is more hardy, but they are so beautiful and I've always wanted both so my vote would be to keep them! I have a lot softies but my angels mostly pick at the rocks, all my softies are growing nicely, hope that helps a little.

naesco
04-08-2010, 11:45 PM
Ha Ha no THANK YOU my lil 33gal looks so nice now with all that rock, and my fish are ALOT happier now! By the way thank you for that comment on my truck, I'll be sure to tell the hubby that one as he is always bugging me for owning a dodge lol he drives a nice little FJ, but I like my truck it could run his over he he. It was really nice meeting you and thank you for the great advice.

Please don't consider an angel for your tank.
There are recent articles published in reefkeeping.com where experts advise that these fish require tanks in excess of 300gals.