PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Formalin

MikeInToronto
04-06-2010, 12:13 AM
Maybe I'm not looking hard enough but where can I find formalin? They don't have any product at the LFS with anything better than "< 5%" but people talk about it like it's everywhere you look. I need to find the 37% solution.

Any help would be appreciated. I want to treat clowns.

rayjay
04-06-2010, 07:32 AM
With Canada's new regulations, you need a prescription from a vet to get it. (or have an understanding pharmacist)
Just remember, it is an unstable product so don't use it if you can see a white residue in the bottom of the bottle as it is very toxic at that point, a much more toxic product than the original formalin before that residue appears.

MikeInToronto
04-06-2010, 11:12 AM
With Canada's new regulations, you need a prescription from a vet to get it. (or have an understanding pharmacist)
Just remember, it is an unstable product so don't use it if you can see a white residue in the bottom of the bottle as it is very toxic at that point, a much more toxic product than the original formalin before that residue appears.

Thanks. I did find it. Apparently, from what I was told, when it comes to Canada, due to regulations, it has to carry a specific label. This label is expensive and has to be on every product, so rather than pay this money, companies decided to just not have it here.

It doesn't matter now anyway. All but one of my fish are dead. It took 2 days. So 1 day to notice a problem, the next day they're dead. No wonder people like to shotgun treat their fishes.

BlueWorldAquatic
04-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Just be careful for future instances. Products like formulin3 should only be used as a dip additive, not to treat your whole tank.

Ken - BWA

MikeInToronto
04-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Just be careful for future instances. Products like formulin3 should only be used as a dip additive, not to treat your whole tank.

Ken - BWA

NP. They go to a 10 gallon quarantine. It didn't take long for them to go from swimmy to slimy, spotty and dead. Very sad. From now on, I'll only buy fishes that were in the dealer's tank for at least a week and I may even treat them at home regardless. If they're healthy, they can take it.

This is the first time since 1991 that I've had to buy meds to treat fishes and I've bought lots of fishes since then. I've been very lucky.

PS: I don't think the last fish is going to make it. It's still swimming well but it's really slimy. I've got the PH running with lots of air (I don't have an air pump at the moment.)

BlueWorldAquatic
04-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Always a good idea to "freshwater dip" all new arrivals before QT or DT additions.

Just my opinion.

Ken