PDA

View Full Version : Interceptor - how much does it cost?

Veng68
04-05-2010, 04:58 AM
Hi,

Just wondering how much a six pack of Interceptor costs? Also what size pills do people use (small dog, medium dog or large dog)?

Cheers,
Vic

Crytone
04-05-2010, 05:18 AM
I'm unsure what most people use in their aquariums (size wise) but cost will vary depending on that. The smallest size 6 pack is probably about $25 or so, and probably up to about $50 for the larger dog sizes. Price depends greatly on where you purchase it though as markup changes depending on location. Your best bet is to call around to Vet clinics and pet stores and see what they charge in your area.

If there's a great demand for this I could also check with my family on what cost is on Interceptor and see if it would save some money to fellow reefers, I rather doubt the markup on Interceptor is that much though.

StirCrazy
04-05-2010, 02:40 PM
I just got the 30 to 50lb range 6 pills 55.00 bucks

Steve

christyf5
04-05-2010, 04:25 PM
I just got the 30 to 50lb range 6 pills 55.00 bucks

Steve

Same here I think they were close to $60 when all was said and done. One pill of that size I think is 23mg and does about 380gallons or something like that.

StirCrazy
04-05-2010, 07:33 PM
Same here I think they were close to $60 when all was said and done. One pill of that size I think is 23mg and does about 380gallons or something like that.

the ones I get are flavored? do thoes work good to? :mrgreen:

Steve

christyf5
04-05-2010, 08:32 PM
I think they're all flavored. I can't remember if mine are I threw out the cardboard packaging. I don't think its a problem for the tank (hasn't been so far).

Veng68
04-05-2010, 10:42 PM
I found this place......... they say no prescription required.......... cheaper but I would be a bit hesitant in ordering it. Shipping is not bad.

http://www.ipet-int.com/index.htm

Cheers,
Vic

dsaundry
04-05-2010, 10:56 PM
Ok, 2 things, as for ordering from Australia, no problem, I don't know why Canada can't authorize some of these basic med's for sale in this country. Now as for the second thing, what would you use this for in a tank?

Veng68
04-05-2010, 11:34 PM
Red Bugs

Cheers,
Aquaman

StirCrazy
04-06-2010, 01:49 AM
if you have a dog then you can just walk in and get them if the vet has seen him for his anual check up. buy a 12 pack for the dog, at most you'll give it 8 of them as it is only important during mosquito season and you have 4 tablets left over.

Steve

Canadian
04-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Ok, 2 things, as for ordering from Australia, no problem, I don't know why Canada can't authorize some of these basic med's for sale in this country. Now as for the second thing, what would you use this for in a tank?

The reason you won't see these for sale online or anywhere other than the vet in Canada is because the medication is lethally toxic to some breeds of dogs. Ergo you need to see a vet to obtain it here. A vet would be acting negligently to dole out this regulated prescription medication without verifying the intended use whether it be for use with a specific breed of dog or for use in an aquarium.

StirCrazy
04-07-2010, 01:20 AM
The reason you won't see these for sale online or anywhere other than the vet in Canada is because the medication is lethally toxic to some breeds of dogs. Ergo you need to see a vet to obtain it here. A vet would be acting negligently to dole out this regulated prescription medication without verifying the intended use whether it be for use with a specific breed of dog or for use in an aquarium.

where did you read that Andrew? all I could find is sometimes hearding dogs especialy boarder collies can have some nuralogical side effects ie. trembling. and it shouldnt be given to dogs under 2lbs.

I personaly think like anything else its a money grab by vets as they won't give it to you unless you have had your yearly exam, then after that (like I did 5 days ago) you just walk in and say I want a 6 pack and my dog weighs 40lbs. they try to up sell you to the fancy stuff that treats flees, and ticks, but only two types of worms instead of the 4 that interceptor does.. you say no then they go in the back and come out with it. no vet involved, just a check to make sure I was in with in the last 12 months.

I know from when I used to live at home you can get horse and cattle meds and administer them yourself with out seeing a vet, we used to do all the needles for our cows and horses ourselves.. and when I was seeing a girl that bread cats we used to give them there shots also.. maybe there is a place you can get that for dogs also?

Steve

Canadian
04-07-2010, 03:22 AM
where did you read that Andrew? all I could find is sometimes hearding dogs especialy boarder collies can have some nuralogical side effects ie. trembling. and it shouldnt be given to dogs under 2lbs.

I personaly think like anything else its a money grab by vets as they won't give it to you unless you have had your yearly exam, then after that (like I did 5 days ago) you just walk in and say I want a 6 pack and my dog weighs 40lbs. they try to up sell you to the fancy stuff that treats flees, and ticks, but only two types of worms instead of the 4 that interceptor does.. you say no then they go in the back and come out with it. no vet involved, just a check to make sure I was in with in the last 12 months.

I know from when I used to live at home you can get horse and cattle meds and administer them yourself with out seeing a vet, we used to do all the needles for our cows and horses ourselves.. and when I was seeing a girl that bread cats we used to give them there shots also.. maybe there is a place you can get that for dogs also?

Steve

I had a patient who is a vet last year and we spoke about it several times while I was treating her. After discussing the use in reef aquariums she came in for an appointment with a couple pills for me.

StirCrazy
04-07-2010, 01:46 PM
I had a patient who is a vet last year and we spoke about it several times while I was treating her. After discussing the use in reef aquariums she came in for an appointment with a couple pills for me.

ahh, she must have been talking about the very tiny or very young, or people just being idiots and giving a 10 lb dog 5 pills. cuz it tested safe at 5x the dosage with slight side effects. I was surprised to learn about the border collie issues but they are a little nurotic to start with :mrgreen:

Steve