PDA

View Full Version : Quiet Pumps??? Anyone?

es355lucille
04-05-2010, 03:49 AM
I started off with a Mag 18 and I wanted to increase my return and so I went to a Mag 24. This pump is like a freight train in comparison to the 18. Then I decided I would try the Quiet One 9000......and holy crap we cannot hear ourselves think!! WTF! Please tell me there is a quieter submersible (if possible) pump on the market.

If I have to go with an external it will take some thinking about where to install it. I have very limited room.

Thanks in Advance.

Bloodasp
04-05-2010, 04:00 AM
You could try hanging it a few cm off the floor of your sump. Mine is floating being held only by the return pipe.

es355lucille
04-05-2010, 04:07 AM
Thanks, I may try that with the Mag 18 pump as it was the best one to date...... I can hold the Quiet One (Hence the word Quiet - don't believe it, its BS) off the bottom and it does not change sound one bit.

You could try hanging it a few cm off the floor of your sump. Mine is floating being held only by the return pipe.

lockrookie
04-05-2010, 04:11 AM
i have a quiet one 4000 and i barely hear it.. its quieter than my fluval was... my skimmer on the other hand needs a muffler i did adjust and get it quieter but i think i ned to install some styrofoam in sump area or old pillows lol

es355lucille
04-05-2010, 04:21 AM
I am thinking that the quiet one series are going to be the same as the Mag series. The Mag 18 is pretty quiet (not completely) but as soon as you move up in pump size the sound triples or more. My skimmer is run by a Mag 18 and it is really quiet. I was trying to increase my flow from my sump to my display......but I am reconsidering due to noise pollution!! LOL!

i have a quiet one 4000 and i barely hear it.. its quieter than my fluval was... my skimmer on the other hand needs a muffler i did adjust and get it quieter but i think i ned to install some styrofoam in sump area or old pillows lol

shotzee
04-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Go with a Eheim. I used to always use Mag pumps but eventually got fed up with the excessive noise and restart issues. I know the initial cost for a Eheim is a lot more but it was well worth it and it will last forever.

Howdy
04-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Go with a Eheim. I used to always use Mag pumps but eventually got fed up with the excessive noise and restart issues. I know the initial cost for a Eheim is a lot more but it was well worth it and it will last forever.

I love Eheims' pumps myself but I think they are looking for flow in the 1800-2400 gph range.

I am thinking you may have to go to external to get it quieter and in that flow range.

sphelps
04-05-2010, 04:40 PM
You can get a Red Dragon Pump in that range and it can be used internal or external. You won't find a quieter pump but unfortunately you probably won't find a pricier one either.

Ian
04-05-2010, 04:45 PM
I love ehiem as well and they are silent, can't say anything good about quiet ones and yeah if you need that much flow you can't go wrong with Red Dragon except for the price that is.

shotzee
04-05-2010, 04:55 PM
LOL... Yes Howdy that is a good point. I replied to this too early in the morning:)

OceanicCorals-Ian-
04-05-2010, 05:33 PM
Tunze Silence, extremely quite and well made.

NanoHuman
04-05-2010, 06:07 PM
I run the Tunze silence .040 as my return and it is very quiet if suspended as people recommend.

Most of the noise created by any pump is from it vibrating on a surface.

es355lucille
04-05-2010, 11:50 PM
I will look into the Eheim.......most that I have seen are a lower flow rate....but it beats needing hearing protection to feed the tank!!

I love Eheims' pumps myself but I think they are looking for flow in the 1800-2400 gph range.

I am thinking you may have to go to external to get it quieter and in that flow range.

Yes, I am looking for a larger volume.......but need to find something quiet for sure. External is not so good as I don't have much room.

You can get a Red Dragon Pump in that range and it can be used internal or external. You won't find a quieter pump but unfortunately you probably won't find a pricier one either.

I will go check out the dimentions and pump price. The dimentions will tell me if I can fit it in the sump or not. Externally I don't have much room....unless I set it on the kitchen table. I will cover it with the table cloth and my wife won't even know its there!

Thanks for everyones input....I should have asked on here a while ago and I could have eleviated some PAIN!! More a PITA making changes to find out nothing changes or it gets worse!

es355lucille
04-06-2010, 12:12 AM
Tunze Silence, extremely quite and well made.

I have looked at these pumps but when I factor in 6'+ of head pressure the flow rate is approx 1000 l/h or 264 g/hr........Do they have larger pumps than what I could find? I found the 634gph and a 792gph.

I run the Tunze silence .040 as my return and it is very quiet if suspended as people recommend.

Most of the noise created by any pump is from it vibrating on a surface.

I have noted that with all my pumps and I have installed rubber feet with all of them ......the Quiet One 9000 even suspended does not change the sound it makes one bit. Thats a good point though....I had the Mag 24 vibrate up against the glass and was restricting the inlet......now that was loud.

RIPTANK
04-06-2010, 02:48 AM
My AquaEuro USA pump sounds like a city transit bus. Holy crap! I thought the vibration was going to crack my little sump!

Anyways, like most things in the hobby... You get what you paid for.

Go with the Red Dragon or Tunze.

cdp
05-20-2010, 02:24 PM
Hey guys..since this thread was already going I thought I would use it for my pump sound problems.

Here's the issue.

Just installed a chiller in my RedSea Max 130D (RSM). The shop said to pair up a Danner magdrive 350 with 300gph at 0' Head. The Chiller is rated to a maxflow of 260gph...they said that the difference in flow would be nill once you factor in the Chiller.

So I rigged everything up. Managed to fit the pump in the back of the RSM. Turn everything on and so begins the noise. The pump is emitting a deep hum (sounds like my old 10g freshwater setup). I do not have a sump so hanging it in their is not an option. I have a cabinet so it could go next to the chiller if it will make less noise out of the water (haven't attempted this as I don't want to go through the replumbing to end up no farther ahead.)

So what are my options...I need this thing quiet. ....would hanging it in the cabinet work? or a different pump? Are canisters quieter and worth the cost (not much money left after the chiller...ouch)

thanks!
C

gobytron
05-20-2010, 02:26 PM
my q16000 is really silent.
My tv room is right next to my sump room and I cannot hear it if I try.

Oddly enough, I bumped my mag 18 for the quiet one 6000 due to the noise from the mag18....lol

jackcool
04-13-2011, 11:31 PM
There are many pumps available in the market which are really silent. But there are quite expensive also. So if your budget allows you to spend more for this then you can buy it. But i don't think its a wise step to spend a good money for it.

phi delt reefer
04-14-2011, 01:42 AM
you will pay for quiet...

atb flowstars - cheaper versions of the red dragons but use the same laguna base pump
reef octopos water blasters - slightly louder but very good as well.