PDA

View Full Version : Gurgling sound on intake bulkhead

tHeHEYzeus
04-04-2010, 06:46 AM
Hi, I'm putting together a new tank and was having trouble getting rid of a gurgling sound from my intake bulkhead. I was going to set up a raised loop thing with pipe behind the aquarium but I can't think of the name of it, it kind of looks like this

..............hole-->
..................___U___
Bulkhead.___/ ........\___ Sump

...................^PIPE^

Sorry for the rough sketch was hoping that someone would know of a link that explains how to do it.

Thanks for any help

Eb0la11
04-04-2010, 08:00 AM
Durso Standpipe? Is that what you're referring to with the upside down u?? That works, for the most part, but the Herbie style is the best.

Google both for an answer.

You're going to get a gurgling noise if air is being sucked into the drain, thats what you want to stop from happening. A herbie does this by restricting the flow with a gate valve below the drain point on the intake line so that it is restricted to the point where only water goes into the pipe and no air. You can fine tune it to that point.

mark
04-04-2010, 02:30 PM
Looks like you just have a up turned fitting and it will be noisy. Single line solutions like Dursos, Stockmans and Hofers always see in a overflow box, not sure if will work without.

Few threads over on RC where people have gone without a overflow box and from a bulkhead similar to how you are drilled ran a horizontal piece of PVC along the back wall with a slit in it.

Herbie is one of the quietest since as Eb0la11 said no air (like Dursos, Stockmans and Hofers), to do one you'll need a second drilled hole. See Reefjunkies Herbie (here (http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45862)) where the holes are stacked.