PDA

View Full Version : Who eats valonia?

Delphinus
05-03-2002, 05:59 PM
I forget, who eats valonia (bubble algae)? Is it emerald crabs or sally lightfoots?

I seem to think that it's emerald crabs that eat valonia. Can somebody confirm this?

I have a general mistrust of anything with claws. Will an emerald crab be safe in a reef, really? Really really? What will they eat once the valonia is gone? Will they leave my baby clams alone?

Thanks in advance!

DJ88
05-03-2002, 06:35 PM
Emeralds are the cretures Tony.

I never saw mine go near my clams at al. All tehy seem to go after is algae adn any leftover food from feeding the tank.

Bob I
05-04-2002, 12:40 PM
I have read that Mythrax Crabs eat Bubble Algae, also Sally Lightfoot are supposed to. I could not find a Mythrax, so I got a Sally LF. I have no bubble algae left in the tank with the crab.

Delphinus
05-04-2002, 05:32 PM
What else do mythrax/emeralds eat besides valonia?

What about caulerpas, and sargassums type macros? I have some neat sargassums starting to form and I don't want those to be mowed down. Would they be at risk?

I guess I'm going to try one of these (Big Al's in town has them in right now), and just keep a close eye on him. If he starts eating stuff or harrassing anyone, I guess he can go into one of my other tanks... I have some valonia on a rock and thought I might try and let an emerald go for it, and save myself the effort of tweezering off about a few hundred little bubble algaes..

Bob I
05-04-2002, 07:22 PM
My SLF destroyed my Sargassum. Wh has Mythrax?

Delphinus
05-04-2002, 10:48 PM
Big Al's is the place. I haven't found enough pictures online to compare to, so I don't know 100% if what they have is "genuine" mythrax or just some other green crab that also bears the moniker "emerald."