PDA

View Full Version : Some bad news

Skimmerking
10-20-2003, 02:16 AM
well i called home and found out that my daughter has strept thoart and my Son has a lung infection due to the humitdity from tha tnak. from the dampness
so the boss is getting the room vented this week ,if this doesnt work .i'm taking down the tank and getting a small one and maybe selling off some of the stuff.. :frown:
any way .i'm trying to think of how small do I have to go forthe dampness to go down.....
any questions please respond..

later Mike

kuatto
10-20-2003, 02:29 AM
Sorry to hear,hope your kids are o.k.(got 5 myself,seen everything from bronchitus to broken bones)
Maybe the venting will work on the humidity,or installing a de-humidifier,or even a bathroom fan.

Jim

smokinreefer
10-20-2003, 03:41 AM
yeah, go for the venting and get a dehumidifier for the room.

hope the kids get well soon.

Skimmerking
10-20-2003, 04:49 AM
thanks for the kind words ,but i have has the dehum in the room it didnt seem to work .
Doug knows what the room is like ,hopfully i can get this fixed by x-mas
or doug will be helping me get another tank.. :razz:

Mike

smokinreefer
10-20-2003, 06:12 AM
oh you need a smaller tank, i'll take your 280 and you can have my 180 :lol: :rolleyes: :razz: :mrgreen: :cool:

Samw
10-20-2003, 06:17 AM
Sorry to hear Mike. How would it work out if you covered the tank with a glass top to prevent evaporation?

Son Of Skyline
10-20-2003, 02:21 PM
Hope your kids get better soon!

This may be an expensive option, but I believe adding a chiller to your tank would reduce evaporation as well.

Good luck and keep us informed :smile:

Skimmerking
10-20-2003, 06:55 PM
hey i would trade anyone my 280 for a smaller tank. I'm dead serious!!!!
I dont think the chiller will stop evaporation its from the overflows and much more the fans in the tank.....

if some one wants to trade call me 204-728-0342

Mike

Aquattro
10-20-2003, 07:43 PM
Mike, sell the tank and use the sump for your new smaller tank!!

Skimmerking
10-20-2003, 11:04 PM
yeah that is what i was going to do i hope , i was thinking the 120 corner tank if i could i would love to get one for the corner.
it would work alot easier in the house.

Mike

saltcreep
10-21-2003, 12:39 AM
I don't want to minimize the situation WRT to your children's health (I have two of my own), but how could strep be caused from higher than normal humidity? Isn't it a viral infection? Really strange! Same with the lung infection your son has. I am no doctor but two infections being caused from humidity or possible air born viruses stemming from a fish tank. I would seek a second opionion before you tear your tank apart, IMO.

The only thing I can think is that the humidity is causing algae problems in your house :eek: .

three dawgs
10-21-2003, 01:19 AM
i cant see the humidity as a prob. I was on a ship. Lived in a mess deck, which had fuel tanks compensated with salt water. I now this is gibberish to you, but as the fuel is used it fills with salt water. Ocean water temp is very cold here. So needless to say, we had a dehumidifier in the mess deck. Emptied it 4 times a day. 50 guys live in this space and we never had any type of these probs

StirCrazy
10-21-2003, 03:09 AM
I was on a ship. Lived in a mess deck, which had fuel tanks compensated with salt water.

you still in? which ship now if you are?

I think the problem is the excess moisture can create a enviorment in which virisus and such can live longer and be transfered easyer.

Steve

three dawgs
10-21-2003, 04:38 AM
Still in, posted to the schoool as an instructor

Skimmerking
10-21-2003, 04:46 AM
Well to make this story riht my Son amost died from the fluid in his lungs and he had to have his lungs drained while he was in his mothers stomach
the dampnss causes RSV which is a infection from damp weather, that is why i moved from the EADT due to the damp weather from the east .so It's not that i have no second check
i have had and been there ,put it this way i have have 6000 dollars in medical bills and special medicine, for him since he was 1.5 months old so yeah I have been there for the second opinion!!!!

he was put on STEROIDS from day one so yeah the humid air is hurting him...

in a nut shell the amp weather makes him gurgle and wheese lots he is on oral steroids and a ventilater 'and he is the 50% mark for babies to survive out of 3/6 in the west its a rare disease
called Bilateral plural effushion some thing like that
its caused by the larnyx in his lungs dont close when he coughts up
its hard to explain
if ya wanna know call the wife
DOug has my number
LATER

MIKE

Aquattro
10-21-2003, 05:04 AM
Mike, if it's that serious, you may want to find a new hobby, like birds or something!! I love my tank, but if it impacted my kids like that, I'd have to say bye to the hobby!

Veng68
10-21-2003, 06:39 AM
http://www.humidex.ca/apt-110.htm

This unit is around $400 but well worth it I think.

Cheers,
Victor

Beverly
10-21-2003, 02:09 PM
Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear about the humidity problems causing illness in your children :frown:

What is the humidity in your house, summer and winter? I have a small Bionaire digital humidity/temp thing, that cost about $30 from Revy, that sits in the dining room. Our tanks are in our LR and DR. All are covered with glass, except for a small portion at the back of each tank where the powerheads, heaters, etc, go in. Being on the prairies, humidity is usually pretty low, except in summer when we get rain. Right now, humidity is 31% and room temp is 22 C. In winter, humidity gets in the low to mid 20s and we have a humidifer going so we can breath easier.

How low does your dr. say the humidity should be to eliminate or reduce your children's health problems? If you knew that answer, you may be able to calculate how many large a tank you can still keep.

I like the suggestions of a good dehumidifier and covering the tanks to reduce evaporation. If you can get hold of a reliable humidity detector, you can measure the difference each change you make with your tank, fan system, etc. so you know what's helping lower the humidity and what isn't.

Hope you find some workable solutions and that your kids get better :smile:

Skimmerking
10-22-2003, 04:53 PM
Well I talk to the boss in reference to the tank.It's confirmed that i'm getting rid of it. Tammy talked to the heating guy and he told her that you will need a HRV in the room or house to get rid of the dampness.

So i'm looking to get rid of the tank and get another small one its going to be a 65-75 gal tank with a sump in the basement hoping to geta corner tank if i can to have it upstairs.
if any one looking to get a bigger tank please email me at waterfield.mj2@forces.ca
thanks for everything
from 335 gal to 90-100 should be good to go

mike

AJ_77
10-22-2003, 05:25 PM
really sorry to hear about your son's problems, Mike. If his life is affected to this degree, I have to agree with Brad's advice - try something different.

A reptile cage would be nice and dry... not as nice as a reef tank, I know, but that thing should be out on the front lawn with a "4 SALE" sign on it right now.

Sounds like the fish thing just isn't in your story (for now?)... Really wish you the best, and especially your son. (Got 3 myself.)

Bob I
10-23-2003, 04:35 PM
I too am sorry to read about your son's problems, and agree with Brad. Get a new hobby, as this one is not worth it. Alternatively get a much smaller tank. I myself have a 50 and a 15 in a very small room with glass covers and no sumps. I have no detectable humidity problems.
Hope you find a solution soon. :cry: