PDA

View Full Version : Adding higher wattage lights?

Kona
04-03-2010, 02:44 AM
Hey guys, need some info. on adding new lighting. I am going to be changing mt current lights which are 3 175w mh. To the new 6ft Hamilton tech belize sun. Which has 3 250w hqi bulbs. So what im wondering is should I lower the time that the light are on at first, to allow the corals to get used to the higher wattage, or just let them run the regular coarse that I had my old ones on? And also is there any break in time for the new lights?
Thanks Jay

BlueAbyss
04-03-2010, 02:51 AM
Definitely a break in time for new bulbs, up to 100 hours (usually around 25 in my experience). Run the lights for a shorter period for a few weeks, and consider shading the tank with screen or raising the lights a foot or two, if that's at all possible.

Kona
04-03-2010, 12:03 PM
So if I am unable to raise the lights what would an ideal run time for the first little bit be? Currnetly my 175w lights are on for 10hrs. And right now i have vho atinics and the new light has 2 5ft t5's, I imagine it would be fine to run these lights with no problems? Ie. run these lights on my regular viewing schedule.
Thanx Jay

BlueAbyss
04-03-2010, 03:09 PM
I would start with around 4 hours and add an hour every 5 days or so. If you're running actinics lamps for the T5s, you should be okay to run them on your normal schedule since I don't think they put out much in terms of useable PAR (though they will produce some, they're T5s after all). Your corals will show you how they feel about the new lights, just keep an eye on them and adjust appropriately. If something seems to be reacting badly, move it lower in the tank or shade it a bit.