PDA

View Full Version : 105 Shallow Paradise Redux

sitandwatch
04-02-2010, 02:14 AM
Finally getting this tank build going, I have had the tank for a couple of weeks and its time to start the journal for it.

Specs:

105 gal 72x24x14 Josh's old tank
55 gal sump I think
Bubble Magus BM180-CS - Skimmer
60" 8x80W ATI Powermodule :biggrin:
MP20 and some Koralia 3's, thinking of MP40's, if I can find the cash
Tunze ATO

Current stock list:

Pair of clowns
Red lip Blenny
Mystery Wrasse
Dwarf Golden Moray eel (Currently hanging out at Red Coral)

Thats all I know right now, hope to get the plumbing, water and rock in by next week.

Here are some quick photos
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=334&pictureid=2922

And the kids in the tank shot.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=334&pictureid=2923

lobsterboy
04-02-2010, 03:18 AM
awesome Brian, look forward to this.

karazy
04-02-2010, 03:24 AM
sounds like a pretty expensive equiptment bill.
how do you plan on preventing the dwarf golden eel from escaping the tank?

bauder1986
04-02-2010, 03:37 AM
:biggrin:tagging along for the ride

Delphinus
04-02-2010, 03:41 AM
Oooh. Karazy brings up a good point. If you plan on keeping the tank open top you should rethink the eel I'm afraid. :( Trust me - I know how awesome they are and how tempting it is. But it is literally only a matter of time before it will crawl over the edge or jump straight out.

The first golden dwarf I ever had, escaped a tank that I thought was locked down like Fort Knox. You would be amazed what they can get out of. And they will try, sooner or later, they are just naturally curious that way.

What you can do, if you're really set on keeping him, is build a canopy of sorts. You can still keep it open top if the edges all around are fenced off, but it will need to be a minimum of 8" tall. I have seen them jump out of a bucket and clear easily 8" out of the water.

Sorry. I know it's not what you want to hear but trust me there is nothing more heartbreaking than finding your beloved golden dwarf eel as a fossilized stick on the floor. :cry:

Delphinus
04-02-2010, 03:43 AM
BTW, I should mention though, that this system looks to be a real beaut and I can't wait to see it running! Good luck with the build! :)

sitandwatch
04-02-2010, 03:55 AM
sounds like a pretty expensive equipment bill.
how do you plan on preventing the dwarf golden eel from escaping the tank?

I have blown my budget right out of the water, I bought the tank on a whim and did not really think or look up equipment until after, that being said I already have some of it and the most expensive item the lights I got a great deal "Thanks Red Coral"

I am going to start with praying the eel stays in, I don't really want a cover but knowing that they like to escape so I am going to devise one and use it when I am not around.

Delphinus: Thanks for the advice, I am super keen on one but I really don't want to see it on the floor either. Do you know the size of hole they can get through?

Delphinus
04-02-2010, 05:13 AM
The one I lost to escaping managed his way out about a 1/4" opening in the top lid of the tank. My mistake was to try a cover glass instead of a canopy fence - because of the tank having powerheads I had an area for the wires to pass through and I think this is how he managed his way out.

The one I have right now is in my cube tank which is open top, but has a ghetto box fence on the top all the way around. The front hatch just flips up when I need in the tank to feed or whatever, and I use a latch to keep the door closed otherwise. Mine is totally ghetto but if you wanted to see a good example of a nicer version, look up fishoholics tank journal - she has the same idea on her tank, but I think it has tile or something to match the stand. I think it looks pretty good, anyhow.

JDigital
04-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Looks good Brian.. Can't wait to see it full of life.

Doug did some nice work on the stand! :biggrin

BTW what are using a different sump?

sitandwatch
04-05-2010, 02:44 AM
Ok here I go, just got the sump added in.

But first I have to give big props to Doug "Fishytime" if you saw the last tank stand it was not finish, with Doug's killer skills he finished it up and its looks great, if you need a tank stand talk to Doug.

The sump is now a 55gal that I traded with Doug, I switched him the shallow tank that he may use for a clam tank or whatever he would like.

I was able to get the sump into the stand by removing some bracing so I really don't want to have to remove it a again.

So I am thinking and have placed the sump in to get this.
Skimmer --> Return <--- Refugium

I will be able to drop the overflow right into the skimmer and t it off to the Refugium.

My other thought was to go refugium --> Skimmer --> Return, this would be easier to plumb but was not sure it would be best for the tank.

If you have any suggestions and recommendations please let me know, I am a plumbing newbie so any suggestions with that would also be helpful.

Oh no check valve with the bigger sump I will be able to handle the extra water with the larger sump.

Thanks for looking and you esteemed advice.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=334&pictureid=2926

TheMikey
04-05-2010, 07:39 PM
I don't seen the point in putting the skimmer after the Fuge, wouldn't that skim all the good stuff from the fuge that you want to send into the display?

sitandwatch
04-05-2010, 08:07 PM
I don't seen the point in putting the skimmer after the Fuge, wouldn't that skim all the good stuff from the fuge that you want to send into the display?

Yup I agree just looking for other input, and want to keep it simple
thanks

TheMikey
04-05-2010, 08:26 PM
If I were planning out a sump I would probably go Skimmer -> Fuge -> return. Make sure there's baffles to keep out the bubbles.

Check out Melev's Reef page. It's a great sump resource: http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

kien
04-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Personally I prefer the Skimmer ---> Return <--- Refugium model. This way you can more easily have three different water levels. Have the skimmer water level at just the right height for skimmers, the reguium level nice and tall to maximize refugium size and the return section lower to handle back siphon and such. So many possibilities in sump design though, it all boils down to what people prefer.

Fragzilla
04-05-2010, 08:55 PM
This is how I have mine set up as well - works great!

Personally I prefer the Skimmer ---> Return <--- Refugium model. This way you can more easily have three different water levels. Have the skimmer water level at just the right height for skimmers, the reguium level nice and tall to maximize refugium size and the return section lower to handle back siphon and such. So many possibilities in sump design though, it all boils down to what people prefer.

neoh
04-07-2010, 07:15 AM
nice tank. Is something I've been considering, would like to see how it all pans out. Consider me subscribed!

fishytime
04-09-2010, 02:32 AM
Ok here I go, just got the sump added in.

But first I have to give big props to Doug "Fishytime" if you saw the last tank stand it was not finish, with Doug's killer skills he finished it up and its looks great, if you need a tank stand talk to Doug.

The sump is now a 55gal that I traded with Doug, I switched him the shallow tank that he may use for a clam tank or whatever he would like.

I was able to get the sump into the stand by removing some bracing so I really don't want to have to remove it a again.

So I am thinking and have placed the sump in to get this.
Skimmer --> Return <--- Refugium

I will be able to drop the overflow right into the skimmer and t it off to the Refugium.

My other thought was to go refugium --> Skimmer --> Return, this would be easier to plumb but was not sure it would be best for the tank.

If you have any suggestions and recommendations please let me know, I am a plumbing newbie so any suggestions with that would also be helpful.

Oh no check valve with the bigger sump I will be able to handle the extra water with the larger sump.

Thanks for looking and you esteemed advice.

Hey that is a pretty sharp lookin stand.........:redface: Thanks Brian..... Its gonna be pretty sweet when its up and runnin.......having fun playing with your rock?.....

the skimmer really only pulls in a certain amount from the skimmer section anyway......what makes it through the skimmer section, still has to survive going through the return pump:wink:

I couldnt agree with you more brutha:lol:

BlueAbyss
04-09-2010, 03:50 AM
the skimmer really only pulls in a certain amount from the skimmer section anyway......what makes it through the skimmer section, still has to survive going through the return pump:wink:

Chunks are edible too :mrgreen:

sitandwatch
04-19-2010, 03:27 AM
Update time

Got some rock and sand from eco-reefer, I like the rock its heavier then my Tonga rock but everything is. I was able to talk to them and tell them what I wanted, they sent me some photos of the rock and I got what I saw some photos below.

Every time I went to Red Coral Kevin had something else for me to pick up and buy here are some items that I picked up last week, I wonder if he will take my third unborn child for payment.

-First shout out to Kevin for the great rock that I did not need!!! But had to have it

-Bubble magnus 180 got it together and in the sump still playing with it so will post some more later about it.

-Vertex reactor for bio pellets set up and tumbling so its good to go

-Another MP20 so will have two running which should be just right for this tank

-Power module 8x80 got a great deal on it as it was a display model at MACNA, came in on Friday but was missing a hanging kit and power supply for the fans so working on that.

So its coming along had to get a lot of it together by today as the wife was getting a little antsy about the mess that I had going for the last few weeks but so was I.

Here are some photos hope to have the light hung soon as thats the last big item that I can think of right now.

Oh I also want to get a reactor for carbon so if anyone has a suggestion that would be great.

No water yet just the reefer-rock
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=334&pictureid=3043

Water in, mix of my rock and reefer-rock
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=334&pictureid=3048

Rock, water, can see the top of the skimmer, return with the bio-pellets.
Still have the refugium empty for now
can also see the light rack I made for the light
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=334&pictureid=3047

Put the light on some PVC just to turn it on and see what it will look like.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=334&pictureid=3046

Super exited as this has been a much longer project with way more money involved then I wanted but I can see the finish line :biggrin: I just need to say away from Red Coral :wink:

Delphinus
04-19-2010, 03:34 AM
Looks great!

TLF Phosban 150 reactor works great for carbon; usually can find one for a good deal.

lastlight
04-19-2010, 03:57 AM
nice work although I think the rocks might be a bit high...won't be a lot of room for growth unless it's not quite as tight as I'm seeing it.

sitandwatch
04-19-2010, 04:11 AM
nice work although I think the rocks might be a bit high...won't be a lot of room for growth unless it's not quite as tight as I'm seeing it.

Ya there is not as much room as I would like, I find it is tough to get the aquascape that I like and still have room to grow.

I will just have to see how it "talks" to me I am more into the fish side then the SPS side but I can see that changing fast once I get some growing.

lastlight
04-19-2010, 04:17 AM
maybe silicone some extension edges all the way around if you need to go higher lol.

sitandwatch
04-19-2010, 04:23 AM
maybe silicone some extension edges all the way around if you need to go higher lol.

Sweet idea!!!! I only need about another 5 inches up and it would be perfect I got the light for it.

Oh but my wife may not like the idea.. I have had the eye roll :rolleyes: a few times in the last weeks.

lorenz0
04-19-2010, 04:37 AM
Brian, always good to run into you at RC. But wow thats one hell of a light you got there, alot of envy of what is to come

sitandwatch
04-19-2010, 04:47 AM
Brian, always good to run into you at RC. But wow thats one hell of a light you got there, sa lot of envy of what is to come

Very exited about the light, I was not very happy when I was told they were out of the original sun power I ordered, but the chance to get this light for the price I had to say YES

sitandwatch
04-20-2010, 03:06 AM
Well I slept on it and thanks to lastlight I re-aquascaped for 3 hours tonight.... well it looks pretty much the same so I will take some photos later but its not much different.

JDigital
04-20-2010, 03:22 AM
Tall aquascapes don't really suit shallow tanks well... I think the first pic with just the rock in the tank (no water) looks the best for a "shallow" aquascape. Which is kinda the point. :lol:

JDigital
04-20-2010, 03:27 AM
... or get creative and come up with a scape that protrude out of the water like and island.

A 6ft version of something like this would be awesome..

http://www.konolua.com/RSS/Volcano_Tank/Entries/2010/1/2_Some_Front_Tank_Shots_files/IMG_9120.jpg

http://www.konolua.com/RSS/Volcano_Tank/Entries/2009/11/9_Some_Updated_Front_Shots_files/IMG_8680.jpg'

EDIT: That actually might be 6ft now that I look at it.. haha

Delphinus
04-20-2010, 03:34 AM
(I think it is 6' too..). Funny you posted that tank, I was thinking the exact same tank as a suggestion. :lol: Great minds think alike? :p

If not a volcano per se, a live rock island with mangroves would look pretty boss..

sitandwatch
04-20-2010, 04:07 AM
Well here is the new aquascape, a little cloudy up top.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=334&pictureid=3052

Great now that I see the volcano that might be the way to do.

I agree with the lower rocks but I like the look of the overhangs and tunnels, and so does the person that matters the most my wife.

Delphinus
04-20-2010, 04:14 AM
I was expecting .. something .. um .. different. :lol:

fishytime
04-20-2010, 05:42 AM
I can see the eyes rolling right now Brian, if you had a volcano in your living room:biggrin:

kien
04-20-2010, 05:44 AM
all of a sudden I have this massive craving for milk and cookies.. thanks for that!

JDigital
04-21-2010, 12:36 AM
all of a sudden I have this massive craving for milk and cookies.. thanks for that!

Thanks for THAT! now I have a massive craving for milk and cookies too! :twised:

sitandwatch
04-21-2010, 03:19 AM
Girl Guide cookies are out, I know I'm eating a box now.

fishytime
04-23-2010, 08:42 PM
So!........can you see in your tank yet???:razz:

sitandwatch
04-24-2010, 02:43 AM
So!........can you see in your tank yet???:razz:

Sort of, every hour or so it clears I then move some sand around, clean off rocks and stuff then it clouds up again but its getting better I am getting some of the finer particulates skimmed off so hopefully when I add in the fish they don't disappear.

I did get the light hung and started up, now I have heard you can never have to much light...... But I just might, I no longer have to use any other lights on the main floor and when my wife came home she wanted to know when I started the grow op :biggrin:

I will post photos in a few days as the wife took the camera to San Fran this weekend.

I wonder if I can get a tan from the light??

bauder1986
04-24-2010, 02:50 AM
Sort of, every hour or so it clears I then move some sand around, clean off rocks and stuff then it clouds up again but its getting better I am getting some of the finer particulates skimmed off so hopefully when I add in the fish they don't disappear.

I did get the light hung and started up, now I have heard you can never have to much light...... But I just might, I no longer have to use any other lights on the main floor and when my wife came home she wanted to know when I started the grow op :biggrin:

I will post photos in a few days as the wife took the camera to San Fran this weekend.

I wonder if I can get a tan from the light??

if your par is high enough, hells yah you can get a tan from the lighting systems on our tanks

sitandwatch
05-07-2010, 02:24 AM
Done:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Ok not done but every thing is moved over starting to settle in.

First I can see into the tank even with both Vortechs going full tilt it gets a little crazy in the tank buts its fun to watch.

I have found that I still have lots of light but now that the tank has cleared its not as reflective so the ambient light has toned down.

I am only running all 8 bulbs for short times as I am finding 6 to be lots, so I start with 2 then goto 8 then 6 then 2 then off so far the tank likes that.

I have found that I will be running half bare bottom and half with sand due to the Vortechs they have created some bare spots but not to bad.

I moved the rest of the rock and some sand into the tank last night and every thing looks good the coral I do have seem happy even the wall hammer that I fragged, the fish are also doing well but took them some time to figure out that the tank is 6 feet long they still only stay in one area, going to have to get some swimmers, the mystery wrasse does not come out very often could be the light :biggrin:

I have a few things to finish such as the doors and some general clean up of the power cords and organize the fish stuff.

But the good news is the wife seems more on board she even wants to go to the fish store to buy a fish for herself.

Here are some photos of what its looking like now.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=334&pictureid=3104
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=334&pictureid=3107
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=334&pictureid=3109
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=334&pictureid=3108
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=334&pictureid=3105
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=334&pictureid=3106

lobsterboy
05-07-2010, 04:27 AM
I had the chance to see Brian's tank today in person, sweet setup.

that light is awesome, super bright, and yes you will need suntan lotion :razz:

JDigital
05-07-2010, 04:49 AM
That looks awesome. You've done an awesome job with it. :mrgreen:

fishytime
05-07-2010, 05:57 AM
The scape really does look great man! gonna need to find a somewhat calm spot in that tank for the acans.....mine like the low flow add-on tank much better than the whirlpool in the big tank........please tell me you will use the full potential of that light????:razz:.........one problem with your update though......no pic including the stand:mrgreen:

sitandwatch
05-07-2010, 03:34 PM
somewhat calm spot in that tank for the acans.....

Still working on the flow I just need to fill it up with SPS to slow it down.

please tell me you will use the full potential of that light????

This reminds me I forgot to turn it on before I left, as I don't have it on timers yet..... Oh I will use the full potential of the light once I get the timers set up and acclimate my family to it :biggrin:

no pic including the stand:mrgreen:

Gotta get the doors finished.... then full shot.

Good to see you lobsterboy your new setup is going to be nice, and the 5 foot PM is a great way to go.

Just need to get some more fish's and frags in and I can just sit back and enjoy.

ElGuappo
05-07-2010, 09:00 PM
did you get a canopy or screen sorted out for the eel?

sitandwatch
05-07-2010, 09:50 PM
did you get a canopy or screen sorted out for the eel?

Yup you can sort of see it in this photo I will post a better shot later, I got some screen door material to make a frame then ordered some clear 1/4 polypropylene mesh and created a very nice top.

I find that I get no light loss, and have some Velcro to it down so it wont lift up.

The eel that I was going to get had an incident before I was able to bring it home so I am waiting for another.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=334&pictureid=3107

kien
05-07-2010, 09:52 PM
cool, where did you order the polypropalene mesh from?

sitandwatch
05-07-2010, 10:02 PM
cool, where did you order the polypropalene mesh from?

I ordered if from a guy that did the same thing here is a link to his build, he had to order the mesh in bulk so he is selling it off, it was around 30 bucks including shipping for just over 6x2 feet if I recall.

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34002

His username is Acroholic

sitandwatch
05-08-2010, 03:18 AM
Decided I wanted to change the scape around and now much happier moved a rock into lower flow area for the hammer and acans if needed, and now the Vortech on the left can run full tilt and any fish that wants can ride the treadmill can.

Finally saw the wrasse swim to the half way point of the tank but he spends most of his time in the rock structure on the left hand side of the tank hiding a lot.

No one seems to be really eating yet accept for the crabs?? figure they are still getting used to there extra 70 gals, but everything seems healthy even the shrimp.

Added in a few more photos of the new scape and a better photo of the lid that I created.

Still trying to figure out what I am going to add for fish still want but here is my short list
- Dwarf golden eel, this will happen just have to be patient.
- Really Really want a cross hatch trigger but really really can't justify the cost so if you have one or see one for a great deal let me know.
- A tang of some sort, not sure what yet so taking suggestions?

News flash just saw the wrasse swim to the other side of the tank, then back to his rock home just gotta see him eat and I will be happy.

Oh here are the photos.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=334&pictureid=3113
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=334&pictureid=3112
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=334&pictureid=3111

sitandwatch
05-09-2010, 07:44 PM
Quick up date as I am tired and need a nap after wining the mothers day race this morning :biggrin:

So last night I figured I should waste some time at Red Coral and visit Doug, got there 15min before they closed.

Ran into a few other canreefers and with Doug they all ganged up on me a forced me to buy some new fish.

So I walked out with a Pink Tail Trigger and a Niger Trigger.

So far they are hiding in the rocks mostly the pink tail comes out once and a while.

I can still count all my inverts and even saw the pink tail hanging with a shrimp hope they become friends :neutral:

Will take some photos when they are less shy.

Looking forward to spending some more money next week as I heard a rumor about some fish coming in :biggrin:

sitandwatch
05-17-2010, 10:12 PM
I finally go my ATO hooked up, after all this time adding RO water by hand every day or second day I have seen the light.

I finally got my tunze ATO going last night after looking at it in the box for the last couple of months.

So I am sitting on the couch and hear a noise and start to freak out..... Oh its just the ATO adding water, its like MAGIC!!! I should have done this way sooner.