PDA

View Full Version : QT or not QT

hapki88
03-31-2010, 02:57 PM
Through my research on setting up a new saltwater aquarium I came across the subject of setting up a QT for all new or sick livestock. This was an eye opener to me since no one had mentioned this before in all my conversations with aquarium owners. So, my question, is it really necessary to have a working QT on stand-by with bio filter, heater, etc. for all new livestock? I've read you should QT a new fish for 6 weeks before placing him in the main tank.

Thanks for your help.

TheKid
03-31-2010, 03:04 PM
I don't and haven't had problems ....yet:neutral:

Namnuta
03-31-2010, 03:10 PM
I don't and haven't had problems ....yet:neutral:

I'm in this boat as well, but i would recommend a QT. I feel like i have been playing Russian roulette, and so far i have been lucky. I would have a QT, if my wife wasn't so apposed to another tank in the house.. LOL

tlo
03-31-2010, 03:26 PM
I always quarantine everything before it goes in my tank. There are alot of posts out there about the griefs of not doing so. (ie - velvet wiping out a tank) and I can honestly say that I have an ich free tank. I also quarantine all my corals before they go in the display.

marie
03-31-2010, 03:33 PM
I quarantined all my fish, it's more then making sure they don't infect your other fish with disease. It's about making sure the fish is eating and is getting used to living in a glass home without the added competition of other fish

mike31154
03-31-2010, 03:35 PM
Quarantine is insurance against mishaps, but I'm guilty of not using it as well. If you have a good handle on how your LFS or supplier handles their livestock & systems, your chances of problems are minimized, so QT may be overkill. You just never know for sure. Even QT is not an absolute guarantee against problems down the road. Some species of fish don't handle the stress of QT environment either, so may be more harm than good. Some research on the particular species is useful to determine whether it's better to QT or not. For example, I don't believe quarantining a Mandarin Dragonet is useful or beneficial. They have a particular slime coat which protects them from predation as well as disease. In addition, they need live pods to survive & stay healthy and I think it may be difficult to provide sufficient nourishment in a small QT tank. A tang on the other hand, is purportedly an ich magnet, so quarantining one of those might be a very good idea.

Lance
03-31-2010, 05:47 PM
I quarantined all my fish, it's more then making sure they don't infect your other fish with disease. It's about making sure the fish is eating and is getting used to living in a glass home without the added competition of other fish

+1 Fatten him up so he can compete with the others in his new home.

mark
03-31-2010, 08:38 PM
QT is ideal, though not all use one every time there's lots of us kicking ourselves we didn't.

When I did run mine, would just set up when needed. Have a foam block sitting in my sump so I can place in a Aquaclear type HOB filter, would use water from the many display. Now I have can just isolate my fuge, drop in a heater and HOB skimmer and I'm set (if things go bad prepared to toss the LR and macro).

Big caution, check your water often. Amazing how fast ammonia can build up to toxic levels.

ponokareefer
03-31-2010, 08:57 PM
I definitely would recommend running a quarantine in order avoid adding disease to your main system. I would also recommend doing something with your corals as well, depending on where you shop from. I've recently run into an LFS that puts sick fish in their coral tanks until they heal up, but also keep other fish in the coral tanks as well, thereby keeping the diseases alive.

globaldesigns
04-01-2010, 04:11 AM
I don't quarantine, and never had any problems. I however buy my livestock and most corals from reputable LFS.

For example, Gold's in Calgary does all the work for you and will treat any fish needed, also won't let any fish go until they are fully eating. So I have needed no quarantine.

freezetyle
04-01-2010, 04:32 AM
QT is ideal, though not all use one every time there's lots of us kicking ourselves we didn't.

Im doing this right now. Put some zoas in my tank that ended up getting Zoapox. those pox have now spread to 2 other colonies. :cry:

bvlester
04-01-2010, 06:35 AM
Always QT and dip even fish benefit from freshwater dip before QT and before going into tank.

Bill