PDA

View Full Version : Question about Miracle Mud

Bob I
05-04-2002, 12:46 PM
I know this is a can of worms, and the cause of many flames. However, I am considering getting some Miracle Mud for my refugium. It is an expensive proposition, so I would like to know if anyone uses it. I would also like to know what users think of it. I am in no way interested in opinions, just the facts ma'am. In other words "do you use it, and do you like it?"

Achilles
05-04-2002, 09:03 PM
First off, I do not use it, but that doesn't matter because that would only lead to opinions you don't want.

Miracle mud has the advantage of "time releasing" trace elements into your water. For example, if you were to add Iron to your tank, you would find that it is very hard to do correctly. Algae blooms would probably follow. However, the same element released just below the algae ends up forcing the caulerpa to grow at extreme speeds, and thus removes lots of organics (probably your end goal since you are making a refugium).

Many of tests of the MM have found it to contain no "special" ingredient that you couldn't add on your own. Keep that in mind. Possibly a lower cost alternative is that of CaribSea Mineral Mud. Simply mix it in with the sand in your refugium and your done. It is available from atleast one store in our area, JL Aquatics. Many say it does the same thing as Miracle mud at a fraction of the cost.

That's my .02

Jeff

[ 04 May 2002, 17:04: Message edited by: Achilles ]