PDA

View Full Version : PC vs MH

martym
10-18-2003, 03:15 PM
Is there a big difference between MH and PC? Another question if you use MH and fluorescent, do the fuorescents do anything? The have to be quite high above the tank, so they will lose alot of intensity.
Thanks for the input :biggrin:

StirCrazy
10-18-2003, 03:26 PM
yes there is a large difference between PC and MH. not only is the MH a brighter and more intense light but it also looks much more apealing to most people as floressent light is a flat light.

depending on what tubes you use and which MH you can creat some interesting effects by using a combanation of different lights.

Steve

robbyville
10-18-2003, 03:45 PM
Hi Marty,

Yes as mentioned there is a huge difference. I started out in the hobby with 2x96w of PC's on my 60 gal. I was very happy with the lights and liked the fact that I could simply rest the unit on top of the aquarium cover and then either leave my canopy off or put it on.

I have recently upgraded to MH (2x250w 10k). Obviously there is the difference in the types of corals one can keep with these lights, but also they are truly beautiful to watch. The spread on them is also much more even.

I have kept my pc's as supplemental lighting and replaced them with actinics since I no longer need the daylight bulb. I do notice a difference when they are on with the MH's in that they crisp up the light a little bit albeit not much. Presently the PC's are adjacent to the MH's meaning they are in the new canopy aprox. 10" over the water line. If there was a way to lower them a little closer to the water line I would probably notice more of a difference.

HTH!

Rob