PDA

View Full Version : Two Part Dosing Pump Recommendation

viperfish
03-27-2010, 01:17 AM
I need to start automating my two part dosing. I have done a lot of digging online but there isn't a whole bunch of reviews or opinions. The cheaper the better of course but I still want a decent unit. I have been looking at the Aqua Medic Two pump programmable unit for about $300, I have also come across the Profilux standalone unit for about $100 more. Then there are the bare-bones single pumps which you have to provide the timer. I also notice Bubble Magus has a standalone unit available now. Anyone have any recommendations?

Delphinus
03-27-2010, 02:00 AM
Pretty much comes down to how much you want to spend. Honestly, I think all the options you listed work fine. I do the bare bones pumps and provide my own timer. Half the cost of the next option, but yeah, you have to do a little work. But then, if we didn't like the work we wouldn't be doing this, right? :lol: So if cost is an issue go that way. If ease of use and plug and play is what you want, then go for one of the bigger options. Nobody has ever bought a Profilux doser and said "Man this is the worst $400 I ever spent. I hate the whole world." So really just personal choice.

pterfloth
03-27-2010, 02:05 AM
Beware of AquaMedic. I have an AquaMedic Dual doser. I bought it from an on-line vendor and had both drive wheels strip in a matter of a couple of weeks. I tried to get them replaced by AquaMedic under warranty but they refused because my vendor was not an "authorized" dealer. They were very unhelpful. I filed a claim with the BBB in Colorado. They ignored BBB completely and never responded. I have since replaced a third drive wheel that stripped. Not what you would expect for $300.

I will never, ever buy another AquaMedic product. I suggest that you get feedback on the Profilux or look at the BRS single units and timers.

viperfish
03-27-2010, 02:28 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'm very surprised at Aqua Medic, I thought they were a reputable company. First the crappy product, then the poor service, sounds like they're slipping. The BRS looks like a good unit but they are always sold out, I guess that speaks for itself. I'm very intrigued by the Bubble Magus but cheap knock off skimmers are one thing, electronics for dosing are another.

Lance
03-27-2010, 02:35 AM
I wouldn't recommend the Aqua-Medic SP3000 doser. First the plastic that holds the wheels broke and then the rubber split open, all within 6 months. They did send me the new parts though without hassle.

OceanicCorals-Ian-
03-27-2010, 03:01 AM
We sell the Smart Doser that doses 1.6ml per minute, they work very well for a budget pump. Best part is they are a 4 roller design.

O.C.

viperfish
03-27-2010, 03:25 AM
Thanks Ian, I'll check it out.

viperfish
03-27-2010, 03:29 AM
We sell the Smart Doser that doses 1.6ml per minute, they work very well for a budget pump. Best part is they are a 4 roller design.

O.C.

I checked your site, do you have both models in stock?

shrimpchips
03-27-2010, 05:09 AM
Profilux 100% of the way.

When I started looking for a doser, I was in the same place as you - Big Al's was having a sale on the SP300 (or whatever the 3 pump version is called) and I was ready to get it - but along comes the Profilux. It was more expensive by abvout $100, but the reputation behind Profilux, the versatility in programming and customizability, as well as the poor reviews behind the AM units led me to go with the Profilux (not to mention Tyler, aka BWI, a foum sponsor, really hooked me up with the Doser and Fauna Marin salts).

Just about a year later, I'm very happy with my purchase - and everyone else local to me who I've convinced to go the Profilux doser route can't agree more.

xtreme
03-27-2010, 05:20 AM
I've been running the Profilux SA doser for a couple months now and love it. As mentioned, for an extra 100 bucks I think it is well worth it for the quality you get with GHL.

OceanicCorals-Ian-
03-27-2010, 03:15 PM
I checked your site, do you have both models in stock?

We do have both models in stock!

Thanks!