PDA

View Full Version : Tank Cooling Thought

walloutlet
03-26-2010, 09:10 PM
Got this link from my Twitter account :idea:

http://science.slashdot.org/story/10/03/26/207213/Cooling-the-Planet-With-a-Bubble-Bath

So of course the very first thought that comes to mind is I wonder if I could apply this to my tank. So instead of installing a chiller I was wondering could you add another section in your sump or plumbing an addition tank with water that would pass through some massive air injection for added control of the temperature of your tank? Would there be a negative effect on pH or other parameters?

Just thought I would through that out there since its Friday with 50 mins left of work. :biggrin:

mseepman
03-26-2010, 10:35 PM
I don't think this would work for you as the point of the bubbles is to increase reflectivity...are you lighting your sump? If so, don't and your heat may decrease. If not, the bubbles will just be a pain in the butt and won't help at all.

walloutlet
04-04-2010, 12:05 AM
Lol, your right! This is really for large scale items such as the ocean. I was just trying to think outside the box. ;)

golf nut
04-04-2010, 12:16 AM
You could however submerge a glass tank in your sump with water in it and run copper pipe from your cold water system through it to cool it and in turn cool your sump water.

walloutlet
04-04-2010, 03:33 AM
I've often thought of building some sort of "radiator" for my system, one that would connect to my Profilux and pump water through it until the temp has been brought down. I would love to get rid of the fans at the top of my tank.

I know GHL has some cool little chillers but I just can't justify the expense, after all as I have it sitting now in the summer I don't get much more than a degree maybe a degree and a half temp swing from the morning to the evening.

All it takes to maintain the temp within a degree of accuracy is to crack my window a bit and have a fan turn on with the hallides. Its much cheaper but not as cool/ :lol: