PDA

View Full Version : Advice for building a tank in wall

Kalifornia
03-25-2010, 06:16 PM
Hey fellow reefers , I am looking at down sizing back to my 100 Gallon tank and wanting to put it in wall ( little storage room ) that one wall faces on to my living room
Just wondering for any input anyone can give me to help the process

sphelps
03-25-2010, 08:04 PM
The two most important tips IMO would be:

1. Ventilation; provide proper air circulation and exchange to prevent mold and moisture build up.

2. Access; spend sometime on configuring how you will access the tank for maintenance and whatnot.

mark
03-25-2010, 08:41 PM
should try to visit some builds to get ideas, do a search (here's Lando's (http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30536)).

Werbo
03-25-2010, 08:53 PM
Trim - use real wood trim (not mds)
Drywall - moisture resistant (usually green)
Paint - bathroom/kitchen washable paint
Electrical - while the drywall is down you might want to run a circuit dedicated for the tank and add extra outlets in the fish room. Especially for MH lights.
Vent/Fan/Humidifier - If you run MH light especially add a bathroom fan hooked up to a humidifier and vent it outsite to avoid moisture build-up.
Plumbing - a sink, ro/di hook-up and floor drain are huge bonus's in a fish room.

Hard to guess-timate the final height of the tank as you have to consider foam under tank, wight of water, black aquarium trim, and wood finishing trim. I added the finishing trim after water was in the tank.

Skimmerking
03-25-2010, 10:08 PM
with mine i used the height of sitting there so around 32" and then subtracted what i had for plywood and styro and then the legs.
You can do the flush look or the recessed look too.
I have huge trim around mine 7.5 " and it accents the wall too and i have a 4" recessed look around the tank. Look in my journal in Asmodeus 150 in wall. Than is all what i have ever done.

Pescador
03-25-2010, 10:40 PM
You can do the flush look or the recessed look too.
I have huge trim around mine 7.5 " and it accents the wall too and i have a 4" recessed look around the tank. Look in my journal in Asmodeus 150 in wall. Than is all what i have ever done.

+1 on recessed, mine is flush and I have a 4" strip on the sides that I can't reach with the cleaning magnet.

sphelps
03-26-2010, 12:19 AM
Trim - use real wood trim (not mds)
Drywall - moisture resistant (usually green)
Paint - bathroom/kitchen washable paint
Electrical - while the drywall is down you might want to run a circuit dedicated for the tank and add extra outlets in the fish room. Especially for MH lights.
Vent/Fan/Humidifier - If you run MH light especially add a bathroom fan hooked up to a humidifier and vent it outsite to avoid moisture build-up.
Plumbing - a sink, ro/di hook-up and floor drain are huge bonus's in a fish room.

Hard to guess-timate the final height of the tank as you have to consider foam under tank, wight of water, black aquarium trim, and wood finishing trim. I added the finishing trim after water was in the tank.

Why would you use a humidifier?