PDA

View Full Version : Cyanobacteria - Help!

slough shark
03-25-2010, 03:06 PM
Having a bit of trouble controlling the cyano outbreak in my tank. Switched out all 8 of my T5 bulbs last month and have been battling cyano ever since. I've read every bit of info I could find on Canreef regarding cyano and have taken the necessary steps to rid my tank of it but to no avail.

Doing a 15% waterchange weekly with a 4 stage RO/DI system that am sure the filters are good.
When Im doing the waterchange, I've taken the Vac thing off of the siphon hose and trying to suck up as much red slime as possible.
Starving my fish out as much as possible to ensure low nitrates.
Tank params are normal.

I really don't want to resort to chemical warfare, but am very frustrated and had enough of my tank looking like this.
Anybody have any sure fire ways of ridding their tank of this stuff? Am I to expect this every year when I switch out my bulbs?
derek

Finaddict
03-25-2010, 03:10 PM
HI, I BATTLED cyano for 3 months in my tank, got a blue spotted sea hare and in a week he devoured it all up! and doubled in size...

oceans had one a few weeks ago!

slough shark
03-25-2010, 03:12 PM
I didn't know there was an animal that ate this stuff.
Good to know, I'll go check this afternoon.
thanks,
derek

monocus
03-25-2010, 03:54 PM
i use coral snow-the bonus is that it also feeds your corals

slough shark
03-25-2010, 03:58 PM
I've been hearing whispers of this Coral snow around here and there. Perhaps I should do a little research on it. Any downfalls or is it a must in your opinion?

monocus
03-25-2010, 05:03 PM
i don't think anything is a must-but the coral snow sure cleaned up my cyano bacteria

Zoaelite
03-25-2010, 05:20 PM
I didn't think Seahares touched the stuff but it won't hurt for your other stuff. Try the coral snow, I use it on my tank and I have never had any cyano. Your other option is to try the NP biopellets.
Levi

slough shark
03-25-2010, 05:22 PM
where does a guy buy coral snow?

Zoaelite
03-25-2010, 05:26 PM
The funny thing is I have absolutely no idea, zeovit designs there bottles so give you the LEAST amount of information possible, I have no idea whats in there but the tank seems to enjoy it.

xtreme
03-25-2010, 05:28 PM
Coral snow will help, but its not magic so don't expect the stuff to disappear overnight. It is available at Red Coral and possibly Ocean City.

slough shark
03-25-2010, 05:28 PM
The funny thing is I have absolutely no idea, zeovit designs there bottles so give you the LEAST amount of information possible, I have no idea whats in there but the tank seems to enjoy it.

which LFS did you buy it from?

Madreefer
03-25-2010, 05:36 PM
I have read that a queen conch eats cyano. Won't have to get rid of it like the seahare. You need alot of open sand space as it has trouble climbing around rock work.

Zoaelite
03-25-2010, 05:58 PM
Coral snow will help, but its not magic so don't expect the stuff to disappear overnight. It is available at Red Coral and possibly Ocean City.

Sorry misread what you posted Derek, +1 for location. When ever I do a J&L order I get it from them but Wais/ Golds are pretty cheap in Calgary.
Levi

xtreme
03-25-2010, 06:13 PM
You won't find it at Golds anymore unfortunately.