PDA

View Full Version : Copperband in a 50 gal?

robbyville
10-16-2003, 07:37 PM
Well the title says it all!

Aptaisia are taking over the tank, I've tried absolutely everything and am trying to keep it under control by injecting kalk paste which seems to be the only thing working.

My next step that I am considering is removing 2 fish and adding a small copperband which also seems to be it or miss in regards to aptaisia. Not to mention that I have a ton of featherdusters which I'm told the new fish would also enjoy munching upon.

My tank is a 60 gal but about 10 gal of this is the sump/fuge which is built into the back of the tank. This leaves about 50 gal of display tank. Is this large enough for a small copperband? I could also remove it later as it grows.

Thanks as always!

Rob

AJ_77
10-16-2003, 09:07 PM
(Is there such thing as the Copperbanded Butterfly police?) :eek:

I had a medium CBB in my 50g for less than a year, then it moved to a (much) bigger home. It acclimated well, and cleaned out the few dozen aptasia that were there. Actually, it lived in a 33g (12x36 footprint) when it first came home with me - yikes. Call me irresponsible, but it still is my fave fish, and did the job I had hoped it would with the nuisance anemones. The rock is clean to this day- no new aptasia.

I read and heard many reports that were in contrast to my own, and this fish still is reported to have a poor record surviving after capture. However, having J&L get you one is an advantage, from what I've read from different people. They are difficult fish to assess, I guess.

Jack
10-16-2003, 09:38 PM
Peppermint shrimp will clear out your aptasia!

ed99
10-16-2003, 09:45 PM
Might clear out your featherdusters as well- never saw a medium sized one again after I bought a couple of peppermints! At least I assume that is what happened.

Bob I
10-18-2003, 02:46 AM
I found Peppermints enjoyed snacking on Featherdusters. :mad:

golden69_ca
10-18-2003, 05:16 AM
go get yourself some liquid ph up and some insuline suringes . i found that i feed the tank first so they catch food then fill the suringe with ph up and stick it to them and within 24 hors they ar totaly dead and gone . does not change any thing in the tank and i did not have a single surviver .
you just inject enought so that it comes out the mouth than on to the next

robbyville
10-18-2003, 03:31 PM
Thanks all!

I have tried the peppermint shrimp. they lasted about 30 seconds until my bi-color blennie swooped down and gobbled one up. I assume that the second one was eaten by my flame hawk! The shrimp were extremely small which could have been my problem but would larger ones fare better?

Presently I am controlling the aptaisia with kalk paste, I could go to liquid ph but it really doesn't seem to help long term. It simply deals with the ones I can get to.

thanks for the thoughts. Has anyone had problems with a Copper Band eating corals?

Rob

Buccaneer
10-18-2003, 04:29 PM
Has anyone had problems with a Copper Band eating corals?

Rob

Are feather dusters corals ? ... if so then yes ... however if you dont care if you have NO feather dusters then so far Bandit has been safe around all other corals ( softies / LPS / SPS ) :cool:

Cheers

robbyville
10-18-2003, 05:44 PM
Thanks Steve!

My wife is very against the CBB as she loves having the feather duster's around. Me, a pox on each aptaisia is what it deserves! My intent if possible is to pick up a CBB, get rid of the aptaisia and then once it grows out of the tank sell or trade it. First though I have to remove my bi-color blennie and yellow headed goby!

Rob