PDA

View Full Version : life span of fish

danzing
03-25-2010, 02:28 AM
What is the life span of various speicies of fish? Noboby talks about this topic. Shouldn't this be a common question when you are looking to buy a certain fish to see if you get the most for the buck.

outacontrol
03-25-2010, 02:31 AM
I have had my pair of clowns and Hi-finned red banded goby for 3 years now.
I have heard that clowns can live 20 years.

Dyspnea
03-25-2010, 02:32 AM
One of my tank breed clowns i've had for nearly 8 years.

Delphinus
03-25-2010, 02:35 AM
Depends on the fish.. some have long lifespans, other not so.

Canreef has a fish lifespan poll forum you can check for some more info.. http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=92

whatcaneyedo
03-25-2010, 03:52 AM
The hobby is too young and scientists are too under funded so there isnt a lot of information out there yet. According to James Fatherree author of Giant Clams in the Sea and the Aquarium scientists dont even know the lifespan of any of the giant clams... in my opinion way too much money is spent on space exploration and not nearly enough on the ocean.

zooz
03-25-2010, 05:22 AM
... in my opinion way too much money is spent on space exploration and not nearly enough on the ocean.

Agree with you 100%. We looking out there when we don't even know much about the planet we live on. Have read that corals can potentially be used for numerous health benefits. The ocean is the next place for medicine to evolve

bvlester
03-25-2010, 06:19 AM
I know Paul at Paul's aquatics in Surrey has had tomato clowns in his display for over 13 years 1 died last fall but the other one is fine. He never did find the remains. neon Gobi's only live about 2 years pink dotty backs live a short life I read on on site I'll have to try and find it again as it does give expected lifespan for some fish.

Bill

Madreefer
03-25-2010, 03:34 PM
pink dotty backs live a short life

Bill

Oldest fish in my tank. 9 years

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-25-2010, 06:51 PM
I know at least a couple of old time reefers who have yellow tangs that are 15 years plus old.

One source states that Vlamingi tangs can live 45 years!!! Don't know how accurate that is.

If you're wondering, most of the oldest sw fish in captivity would probably be in public aquariums. There are records of some sw creatures living well into their 20s, 30s & 40s in public aquariums.

Seahorses typically live 2 years or so. My last one passed away after 2.5 years and it was probably at least 6-8 months old when I bought him. One of the last wild caught seahorses available. Now with the CITES restrictions, all must be captive raised.

On the other hand, I've had Amano shrimp (fw) that were at least over 10 years old and still going strong. Captive bred in Vancouver.

untamed
03-26-2010, 05:29 AM
One source states that Vlamingi tangs can live 45 years!!! Don't know how accurate that is.

Great.... I guess that means that Freckles stands to inherit his own tank!

My best so far was the first fish I ever purchased. A yellow tail damsel that died just before I got the big tank started. He was 13.

randy123
03-26-2010, 05:38 AM
I think the two most important factors in fish longevity are species and source. You'll find that fish from reputable wholesalers/LFS are your best bet, because you know they have been ethically caught/well treated beforethey came to you.

Some species just don't do well in aquariums. We don't know enough, or we just can't provide the right environment. Really, when our success in captive breeding is restricted to just a few species, how well can we claim to be doing? Then are are some fish such as Moorish Idols, which plain don't belong in the hobby IMO because we can't even keep them alive for a relatively short period of time.

IMO we should stick to the ones that do okay in captivity, for the sake of the fish and our wallets...

naesco
03-26-2010, 03:23 PM
i think the two most important factors in fish longevity are species and source. You'll find that fish from reputable wholesalers/lfs are your best bet, because you know they have been ethically caught/well treated beforethey came to you.

Some species just don't do well in aquariums. We don't know enough, or we just can't provide the right environment. Really, when our success in captive breeding is restricted to just a few species, how well can we claim to be doing? Then are are some fish such as moorish idols, which plain don't belong in the hobby imo because we can't even keep them alive for a relatively short period of time.

Imo we should stick to the ones that do okay in captivity, for the sake of the fish and our wallets...

+1

untamed
03-27-2010, 12:12 AM
OK...but once you've taken a fish past 3-6 months in your tank it would be hard to blame someone else if it dies after that. (assuming natural lifespan is considerably longer)

I'm just saying the obvious, I suppose...that the aquarist themselves is a significant factor in longevity.

Felix
03-27-2010, 12:13 AM
When I lived in England I had Japanese Koi Carp and some Isreali and uk bed koi carp. My Dad is still looking after some we have had for over 22 years !

not had anywhere near the same success with tropical fish.

on a related subject my friend has a pair of African Grey Parrots, his wife was surprised to find their will has to have provision for the Parrots, as all being well they will out live them both.

Felix

BlueAbyss
03-27-2010, 05:13 AM
Have read that corals can potentially be used for numerous health benefits. The ocean is the next place for medicine to evolve

I guess that means the rainforests are beyond help... not surprising that we are in the process of destroying the oceans as well, hope we find the medicine before the species that harbors it is extinct.

And yeah, different fish live different amounts of time... I would suspect something like a Neon Goby to have a life span of years, and a lot of larger fish like groupers to have a life span of decades. This is, of course, barring any major incident like a tank crash, power outage, etc. which is likely the major cause (next to improper culture and feeding) of premature fish death.

I have Neon Tetras that are at least 3 years old. Not sure what the lifespan of these is...

I've read that some huge wild Tridacnid clams are estimated to be hundreds of years old (shells of clams have growth rings, like trees). Where I read that, I'm not sure... but I don't doubt it.