PDA

View Full Version : Regal Angel

Buccaneer
10-16-2003, 04:47 PM
Well here is my new Regal Angel ...

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=128

Purdy aint he ? :cool: ... he is in my QT tank and so far eating good and very active :smile: ... very hard to get a pic of him not moving as this pic is a little blurred but it was the best of about 20 shots :eek:

Cheers

Delphinus
10-16-2003, 05:09 PM
Very nice! How big is he?

kuatto
10-16-2003, 05:18 PM
very nice(love the colors).any special needs for him,or is he pretty easy to care for?

Jim

Beverly
10-16-2003, 05:34 PM
Rasta,

Lovely fish :cool: What's it eating, what sized tank is it going into, and what tankmates will it have?

Jack
10-16-2003, 07:07 PM
Wicked fish Rasta. That's my favourite angel by far but the barbed one shao had was a close match too.

Hope he likes his new home!

Buccaneer
10-16-2003, 11:42 PM
Very nice! How big is he?
he is about 3" long and will prolly get to about 10" when full grown ...

Rasta,

Lovely fish :cool: What's it eating, what sized tank is it going into, and what tankmates will it have?

Well he is eating mysis shrimp and flake so far ... the current residents include a 5" foxface / 3 1/2" Yellow Tang / ( Bandit ) 4 1/2 -> 5" Copper Banded Butterfly / 2 Percs / 2 Ocelaris / Algae blenny / 6 Line Wrasse

very nice(love the colors).any special needs for him,or is he pretty easy to care for?

Jim

Apparently they like sponge so will have to find a way to get that into his diet

after he has spent about a month in the 33G QT tank he will be going into my 300G reef tank ... as far as angels go the Regal has the best track record with corals ... Wetback is buying my open brain coral ( apparently a delicacy in the Angel world :) ) and SPS should be relatively safe ... I will just have to keep an eye on him with the other LPS ... the only other larger fish to go into this tank will be a Majestic Angel ( if I can ever find a juvenile one in good health ) ...

Thanks for the kudos ... we really like him alot

Cheers

Beverly
10-17-2003, 01:16 AM
SPS should be relatively safe ... I will just have to keep an eye on him with the other LPS ... the only other larger fish to go into this tank will be a Majestic Angel ( if I can ever find a juvenile one in good health ) ...

Rasta,

From what I heard, angels REALLY go for sps corals. For angels, I have:

coral beauty dwarf angel (Centropyge bispinosus)
half black dwarf angel (Centropyge vroliki)
keyhole dwarf angel (Centropyge tibicen)
Singapore angel (Chaetodontoplus mesoleucus)
Lamarck's angel (Genicanthus lamarck)

I put them in the 72 gal bowfront all at once, so there will be no territorial issues for any johnnie-come-latelies. So far, all is well. They are all the fish I intend to keep in that tank, and there are only soft corals in with them. I guess they are so slimy and yucky-tasting that the angels won't eat them. Have seen mine pick at but not eat any of the shrooms, star polyps or devils hand in my tank. Have a few chunks of caulerpa in the tank that they gnosh on all day.

Are you going to buy some sponges to feed it, or do you have another tank that's been growing sponges that you can rotate the rock to the angel tank?

Buccaneer
10-17-2003, 04:26 AM
The trick is to hopefully get a Regal young enough to accept different foods other than sponges and so far he is doing good ... as far as the large angels go they are generally safe around most corals except the meatier LPS like open brain ( hence the open brain finding a new home ) and there is lots of reefers with large angels and no problems but I suspect there may be just as many that have had problems with nipping too ( fortunately mostly with clams and LPS ... if I had to go all SPS that would not bother me at all )

Of all the large angels this one might be up there in terms of risk/difficulty but the reward is truly a magnificent fish

I really hope he works out as planned and will become a model citizen

Cheers

AJ_77
10-17-2003, 04:37 AM
you are one ambitious fish-keeping dude. very nice fish!

(no more stirring the sand, Ok?)

:wink:

andestang
10-17-2003, 05:01 AM
Very nice :cool: Where did you score him from ? Really like the colors.

Buccaneer
10-17-2003, 05:03 AM
Hey Alan ... turns out it might not be the sand after all < whew > ... I am sending a salt sample to IO ... when I tested it the alk was over 18 :eek: ... and when I was doing the water change the new water was being poured in right over their part of the reef ... we will see what they say ?

The fish is cool though and sure hope he works out < fingers crossed >

Cheers

Buccaneer
10-17-2003, 05:05 AM
Very nice :cool: Where did you score him from ? Really like the colors.

There were 2 at BigAl's and I got one :biggrin: ... give them a call and see if the other one is still there

Cheers