PDA

View Full Version : Sudden Alkalinity Drop

KennyKen
03-24-2010, 08:46 PM
So last week my dKh was around 8, and today i noticed a few of my zoo's closed right up so i tested it and it was down to 1.
what would cause such a sudden drop. ?

Im using the b-ionic 2 part calcium dosing, and im not really getting an accurate calcium reading from my test kit ( i will try and scoop a new one tonight)

I havent done any water changes, and have been pretty consistent with the dosing.

1) What could have caused such a drastic drop

2) The supplement says 1ml/4gallon. Should i increase this ratio to try and boost it up faster. or stay calm and stick with it.

Delphinus
03-24-2010, 09:50 PM
Whoa, 1dKH seems suspicious to me. What test kit was this with? Can you confirm your test kit on a different sample of water? Perhaps a new batch of SW? I don't believe a 1dKH reading.

I would not increase dosage at the moment. Generally speaking you want to test your Ca and Alk until you have a feel for how much to add to keep levels constant in your tank, since consumption rates will vary from tank to tank, and also over time as corals grow and so on.

untamed
03-24-2010, 10:13 PM
Double check that Alk test result. It seems very suspicious to me.

BlueTang<3
03-24-2010, 11:00 PM
i suspect test kit as well i had a api and my alk reading was around 9-10 and with elos was at 4-5 was having big ph swings but never thought that much of a difference was possible

KennyKen
03-24-2010, 11:09 PM
So after 4 more go's, i got a 3, 5, 6 and 7 reading.
This is an API test kit, any suggestions on a more accurate test kit. Elos?

so even if my alkalinity is some what normal.
What would cause my zoos to close up like this. I have them do this before, and it was indeed low dKh. Nitrates, ammonias and nitrites all 0

pH? i just ran out of that test kit

KennyKen
03-24-2010, 11:11 PM
and to boot, i just came home to my flasher wrasse deceased.
This could be from this issue or something prior.
Bottom line, i would like to get to the bottom of it.

bvlester
03-24-2010, 11:29 PM
what is your PH at as low Ph is hard on those flashers and many other fish in general. It can also cause the Zoos to close up. I would get a new test kit and take a sample with pipit from the middle of the water column or center of tank water tends to be in motion there more consistently and you get a better reading. Its kind of like when you do a test on a pool you are suppose to take the sample from a bout 2-3 feet below the surface and around the middle of the pool to get the most accurate test results.

Bill