PDA

View Full Version : alternate foods

lockrookie
03-24-2010, 05:52 PM
ok ive noticed recently my coral banded shrimp is being a bugger he has single handedly devoured 5 hermit crabs and yesterday tried and thankfully failed to grab my scooter i try to make sure i feed him mysis directly but isnt aways in an area i can do so.

so i bought a tin can of baby clams in salt water thinking this might be a good thing and i havent tried to feed it yet. reasons im concerned about it being in a tin can and i am not sure i should in general . i have heard of other ppl feeding foods like this and im just curious if any of you have or do and what is recomended. and if it isnt good for the tank then ill be sure to eat it myself. waste not want not

naesco
03-24-2010, 06:12 PM
ok ive noticed recently my coral banded shrimp is being a bugger he has single handedly devoured 5 hermit crabs and yesterday tried and thankfully failed to grab my scooter i try to make sure i feed him mysis directly but isnt aways in an area i can do so.

so i bought a tin can of baby clams in salt water thinking this might be a good thing and i havent tried to feed it yet. reasons im concerned about it being in a tin can and i am not sure i should in general . i have heard of other ppl feeding foods like this and im just curious if any of you have or do and what is recomended. and if it isnt good for the tank then ill be sure to eat it myself. waste not want not

Return the coral banded shrimp to the lfs for a credit.
Do not add any more hermit crabs. Both the crabs and shrimp are predators and are competing for food with your scooter and other bottom fish you have with the result that you will likely lose your scooter soon.
If you have not done so add a refugium to produce pods that the scooter needs to survive.

justinl
03-24-2010, 06:30 PM
frozen food is probably a much better (at least safer) choice.

Madreefer
03-24-2010, 07:04 PM

so i bought a tin can of baby clams in salt water thinking this might be a good thing and i havent tried to feed it yet.

I would'nt do that. Stick to the mysis. I had a cb shrimp years ago and hated it. Was a bit of a dick. Take it back and get another shrimp such as a peppermint or cleaner. A camel back shrimp is sometimes sold as a peppermint in some of the bigger box stores where there does'nt seem to be alot of knowledge. So be careful of the camel back as they are a pain as well

whatcaneyedo
03-24-2010, 07:14 PM
I've never heard of anyone feeding canned food to their tank. That just sounds like trouble in my mind. Live and frozen fresh seafood is available and a much better choice. We have a small seafood place here in town that gives me clams and mussles for free to feed to my eel. They just pick all of the dead ones out of the live selection when I go in.

lockrookie
03-24-2010, 07:26 PM
im kinda glad i cant feed it to the fish they looked tasty lol i will check out the frozen stuff.

i do like the coral banded even if he is a basterd and my scooter has been seen eating mysis as well so im not too worried about him. even my huge emerald crab that apeared as a hitchhiker likes to grab the turkey baster and feed off a few mysis he is a pig tho and never wants to let go.

i had ordered some pepermint shrimp a few weeks back but they where DOA. next order maybe. for now ill just try to feed them by hand and make sure they are full.

thank you for all your input

naesco
03-24-2010, 08:49 PM
im kinda glad i cant feed it to the fish they looked tasty lol i will check out the frozen stuff.

i do like the coral banded even if he is a basterd and my scooter has been seen eating mysis as well so im not too worried about him. even my huge emerald crab that apeared as a hitchhiker likes to grab the turkey baster and feed off a few mysis he is a pig tho and never wants to let go.

i had ordered some pepermint shrimp a few weeks back but they where DOA. next order maybe. for now ill just try to feed them by hand and make sure they are full.

thank you for all your input

The point I was trying to make is that the scooter, goby, linkia and star are competing for the same food source. If you introduce other critters that compete one of them will lose out.

bvlester
03-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Any shrimp is a pig they will eat asmuch food as you can put in front of them I had 2 cleaner shrimp one testpassed and the other killed and eat it in one sitting then altter that evening ate again when I was feeding the tank. Its a PIG its a PIG not a shrimp. He is almost eating size deffinitly larger than some of the shrimp you can buy in the grosery stores. These cleaner shrimp always have been fed regularly and when I hand feed the Nems I have to give them some shrimp pieces first or they try and steel from the Nems. I have a pink tip florida long tentical Nem which they seem to be able to walk al over and move the tenticals away from the food if they wish to do so and a small GBTA which they can reach the food without touching it. daring little buggers I tell you. My kids tank has a small coral banded shrimp they liked the look of it and it does not try to steel foor for the seabee Nem in there, it stays for now anyways.

Bill