PDA

View Full Version : octopus xtreme 160 vs SWC cone 160

Spiny
03-24-2010, 02:09 PM
I'm looking for a new affordable skimmer. I'm running a 66g SPS reef. I'm hesitating between those two; the octopus extreme 160 and the SWC extreme 160 cone.

I will be upgrading to a 180g sooner or later. So I'm going for a skimmer I'll just be able to buy another one of the same and skim my tank. So the main question is: will 2 of either of those be able to skim a 180g medium stocked SPS tank.

Also, are those comparable? The octopus looks very well built, but the pump of the SWC sounds better. Any input will help

TJSlayer
03-24-2010, 03:08 PM
Very both very similar but I like the build of the SWC line better. I have compared the two and it just looks a little beefier in build and more polished in quality.

But I would go with the SWC extreme Mini S cone, little bigger and overkill for tank now, but will handle the larger tank in the future (As long as it will fit in your sump.)

http://saltwaterconnection.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=77

They also have a 250S but that may be even more over kill, and getting pretty large.

I have the SWC 160 Cone and it's an incredible skimmer as well, and will do a great job on your tank as well. I don't know about running two skimmers on a tank vs one, but whatever you decide you will be happy with the SWC line.

Spiny
03-24-2010, 03:37 PM
thanks for the detailed reply