PDA

View Full Version : Id please!

irene060606
03-24-2010, 05:16 AM
I have recently seen small tubes erecting from the substrate in my tank with tiny opaque worms waving out of them. I can only seem to be able to see them @ night with a LED flashlight. There are dozens of them lacing the bottom of my tank. I would appreciate it if someone could tell me what they are and if they might be doing more harm then good. They range to about an inch in length. Thanks

Duffer2
03-24-2010, 07:25 AM
Not sure but my guess is that you have some Nassarius Snails. My last tank had many and I could only see their "nose" during feeding or at night. If it is these, they are great cleanup crews for your sand.

"These tiny (1") snails are incredible detrivores. They will typically bury themselves in your sand bed with just the proboscis ("nose") sticking out of the sand bed."

Bloodasp
03-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Could you give more description on how they look like.

tlo
03-24-2010, 02:24 PM
could be spagetti worms, or possibly Spionid worms

Madreefer
03-24-2010, 03:00 PM
could be spagetti worms, or possibly Spionid worms

+1 harmless

irene060606
03-24-2010, 10:27 PM
They seem to make house "tubes" out of sand. I thought they were some type of algae untill i saw a peice of food roll on the sand and these wormies grabbed ut and pulled it in. They are see through. Thin like a tiny string. They are all over the botom of the tank as well on on the lower live rock. ALSO- as i was studying them today, i knoticed a pair of a different kind of worm! There were 2 of them, they are dark in colour, and have tiny hairs all over then. Look kinda like the arms on a hypothetical timy brittle star. THEY ALL GIVE ME THE CREEPS! ...i would just like to know if anyone knows what they are and if i should removve some to control the "population". thanks!

mws
03-24-2010, 11:02 PM
Sound like spagetti worms. I have one in my tank, I wish I would have more.
They do clean all the staff flowing around.