PDA

View Full Version : Brand new to fish in general. Open to suggestions

toorjag
03-24-2010, 12:48 AM
im looking at getting into the saltwater fish world. i am open to suggestions and maybe some places to go search saltwater fish and tanks. even open to buying some used equipment and tank.

BlueAbyss
03-24-2010, 04:19 AM
I would start by doing a lot of research... it helps a LOT when setting up and understanding what goes on in a reef tank. READ READ READ! And then, when you are about to add water and rock to your tank, stop and READ some more. Maybe start a freshwater tank beforehand, to get primed for the basics of aquarium maintenance. Neon Tetras are cheap, colorful, and not overly delicate... 5 in a 10 gallon with basic equipment, maybe a cory cat to go with them. If you can keep them healthy, you're probably ready for a reef tank (though it's... different from a 'fish tank').

THEN, add water, rock, and light to a reef tank setup and with good husbandry you should have all kinds of strange and wonderful critters running around your tank within weeks. But for sure, read all you can about aquariums before jumping in... there's more to it than just feeding the fishes some flakes once in a while. Know what conditions you can provide, and choose your livestock accordingly. Absolutely get test kits so you know what's going on as far as water chemistry, it makes ruling out things when you are having problems much easier. Ask lots of questions, Google is a great tool if you're specific (and if you can't find it there, there's always here. Spelling counts too, at least with Google sometimes :wink: ) Once you have something set up, try not to disturb it too often by re-scaping (specially in a planted freshwater tank).

Hmm. I think that's enough advice :lol: If you have already successfully kept FW fishes, then I'm sure you're ready for a reef tank... just be aware, it's addictive.

BlueWorldAquatic
03-24-2010, 05:15 AM
Lots and Lots of reading...Then asking questions here...

Also LFS are a great source of information.

3 things to remember

1 - Patience
2 - Patience
3 - What workds for someone else may not work for you

Ken - BWA

Kryptic4L
03-24-2010, 05:17 AM
all i can say, is build your dream tank right from the get go, you will save thousands in the long run. It may seem very pricey at first, which is why some people lean towards the cheaper gear. but you end up replacing 5 times over .

bvlester
03-24-2010, 06:18 AM
Read more than you want to and by the way that will not be enough ask a lot of questions of everyone you meet in LFS which mean local fish store. some stores have knowledgeable people but others do not you have to find out which ones have the people with the most knowledge. You are in luck Edmonton has many stores with good people at least from when I lived there. So I would ask questions on the forums there are many out there not all are Canadian but they have info also that will help.

Bill

Kevotron
03-24-2010, 06:22 AM
Set a budget and dont cheap out on certain equipment
thats the lesson i learnt