PDA

View Full Version : Bullying and Murder

raisemyrent
03-23-2010, 03:11 AM
ugh, so I have an o. clown, Xavi (ha-vee), I used to love this fish. Behaves like a dog, he gets excited when I show up from work, comes to the front of the tank and greets me... we play high-fin: I stick my pinky in the water and he comes and touches it and follows it... you get the picture... a true pet.

Well, I also have Hank, the yellow watchman goby... who's been living with Xavi for about 10 months now... well, recently Xavi became a total bully. I saw Xavi dragging Hank by a fin the one time and I thought I was hallucinating because it was too quick. Well, slowly but surely, he's become his nightmare. Xavi is otherwise normal, the corals are a-growing, and everything is fine. Feeding pattern hasn't changed... nothing. Xavi isn't hosting anything, nor have I added anything else to the tank. He just became a jerk!

I am facing a really tough decision. Hank has always been a shadow lurker, and now he has a bully. I want to fix it for him, but I love my stupid clown!

I think I am going to give Xavi away. Any thoughts? Anybody who understands my conundrum?

My other complaint is murder. OK, here it goes: I bought a hermit crab. And yes, he has been hunting snails. I bought him along 2 astrea snails, and before I could name them, he took them out. 1 like the day after, the other one over this past weekend. For some reason, he got the 2 new guys, as I have 2 older fellows (bud and buddy) who essentially never come off the glass. But the new types were exploring the rockwork, until they found their doom in the shape of the smallest blue hermit in the world. I had a name for the crab and I have now forgotten it, probably out of hatred.

To top it off, the crab has now slowly started to walk around and be crab-funny.

I also bought 2 cerith snails with the hermit, and can only ever see one (suspected murder then).

There it is, my grievances. I feel guilty beyond belief. It's ridiculous; I know, but true.

Any word of advice?

p.s. great clown and friendly crab looking for a new home, msg me for details

freerider
03-23-2010, 04:50 AM
since i have introduced my GBTA my two clarkiis have seemed to really mellow out. maybe finding them something to host might help out. but im by far no expert.

ahhh hermits, im down to two snails, because my crabs have gotten bored and just killed them for the fun of it, if the snail comes off the glass. they're pretty much done for. Ive had to rescue mine more then a few times. Ive kept them fed and still, they hunt.
Ive even caught them climbing the silicone bead in the corner to the top, to knock a snail to the sand bed.
most of my friends keep one or the other, i like to experiment. sorry i cant be of help to that issue

project37
03-23-2010, 07:17 PM
I think you should look into an Anemone for your occelaris clown. I have kept occelaris clowns for a few years now but do remember my female being a real pest to my other fish until I got her to host a rose bubble tip anemone. I did try a few other anemones first that my clowns would not go to but once I introduced my rose bubble tip anemone the clowns went to it in less than 30 minutes. Now they stay in the RTBA and do not bother my other fish. Good luck.

landshark
03-24-2010, 07:25 PM
Not sure about your clown, maybe a mate would settle it down. Hermits are hermits. If a snail falls off a rock or glass they are typically in trouble. Alot of snails do not have a righting instinct. That is if they fall upside down or on their sides they are easy prey because they can't right themselves. Astrea snails are one that has a righting instinct, and are better against attack if they fall or are pulled off. Snails as well are very sensitive to change and have to be acclimated properly. Take your time.

randy123
03-24-2010, 11:32 PM
New snails may die very quickly is their acclimation is too brief. It could be that the snails are already dying, and the hermits are doing what they do by instinct. Also, do you have extra shells for your hermits? They are always looking to trade in/upgrade, and when there are no empties available, they resort to murder.

As for the clown, is changing the layout of the tank doesn't work, one of them will just have to go. It sucks when he animals dont go along with our ideals, but what can you do?