PDA

View Full Version : Microbubbles in AquaC Remora

DiverDude
03-21-2010, 12:26 AM
Anyone got an idea on how to cure this ?

I've read articles that say to put a piece of foam in the output chamber but when I put foam anywhere on the unit, it changes the water levels in the chambers and the skimmer stops skimming.

The Maxijet 1200 I have on this skimmer is unknown to me as it came with the tank setup (bought used); any chance this could be related to the pump ?

Jessie55
03-21-2010, 12:56 AM
the bubbles never go away as far as im concerned i have had the skimmer for almost a year now i just use a sump sock on the return and that gets rid of them. there is a pre filter box that is supposed to help but from what i have read it is not worth it. The sump sock is an eysore if the skimmer is on your display but it is way better than having a bunch of microbubbles floating around.

Shawner9ster
03-21-2010, 01:58 AM
I bought the overflow box/bubble eliminator that fits the skimmer. No bubbles, and it allowed me to run carbon and phosban in the outlet portion of the box. I will admit it does take up som room, but I find it worth it just to rid the tank of unsightly micro bubbles! I think you can get them through JL aquatics

DiverDude
03-21-2010, 04:01 AM
I didn't know there was an accessory box for it. Looks pretty simple but the pictures aren't good enough for me to use to make one :cry:

The manual won't download either so no luck there.

Did some searching on this item and it certainly does seem to do the trick though.

zum14
03-21-2010, 05:11 AM
i must be doing something wrong then cause i still have a bunch of microbubbles even with the skimmer box, i might try a sock in the outlet side of the box and see how that works but it may restrict flow to the point of overflowing the box and basically bypassing it. How often do you have to clean the sock? (sorry to go off topic and hijack a bit)

DiverDude
03-21-2010, 05:34 AM
...How often do you have to clean the sock? (sorry to go off topic and hijack a bit)

No problem at all. The thread is on curing microbubbles in this thing -and that's what were talking about.

bvlester
03-21-2010, 05:38 AM
you could try getting some of theat algae crubbing pad that you can cut mak it fit acrss the width of the inside of the return and pushit below the sirface of the water about 1 inch you do not want it to go all the way to the back of the skimmer otherwise it will rais the water level in the skimmer and will not skimm very well. I don't have a problem with my kids but it has been running for a few weeks now.

Bill

Jessie55
03-21-2010, 05:48 AM
I get about 3 to 4 days out of a sock i have a bunch of them and i just put them in the washer when i run out. One downside though is be careful and change that sock as soon as you notice its starting to clog. it will clog over a period of 24 hrs and you will notice as the water rises higher within the sock. I forgot one night and when i came home from work the next day the entire water content in my sump was drained so that being said never leave a sock on it if you go on vacation. Otherwise though it works like a charm plus its extra filtration how can you go wrong.

zum14
03-21-2010, 04:14 PM
awsome thanks, im going to giver a go and see what happends. The next tank there is no way my wife will stop me from having a sump. Just too convienent.

bvlester
03-21-2010, 05:39 PM
you can still do it just on a smaller scale fine a 20g tank and you can use the romera in it.just have to make sure the out flow runs down a piece of glass till you get a different skimmer. You could try and sneak it in or just advise her that it would clean up the tank and make it look so much better and people could enjoy it more, or some thing along those lines. My wife new something was up when I made my tank stand about 2 feet longer and 6 inches wider than we needed it for the original tank. I said just in case there is an up grade I don't want to be building another stand and wasting all this good lumber and expensive laminated pine boards that I used for the top.

Bill

Nebthet
03-21-2010, 07:56 PM
I have also found with it to eliminate the microbubbles, there is a sweet spot on the skimmer cup position with the O-ring. If you have it too high you will get lots of microbubbles, but just a little lower and you are fine. Too low and you get too much foam.

I myself am still getting microbubbles with mine, but not as bad as it was when first setting it up and letting it break in and the fish and corals don't seem to mind what so ever, then agan I have a K3 right below the outlet.

zum14
03-21-2010, 09:10 PM
The tanks tempered so no drilling, and i just dont trust overflows. I will mess with the oring hieght. I found my collection cup filled so fast when lower, i thought the lower the cup the more water is collected? I dunno maybe im wrong.

Nebthet
03-21-2010, 11:14 PM
Yes, the lower the cup the more water is collected, but a millimeter change can make a difference. I know mine did, I had to do small little shifts at a time to find a decent area where foam collected but didn't overflow or push too much water out the drain hose.

DiverDude
03-22-2010, 05:51 PM
I have also found with it to eliminate the microbubbles, there is a sweet spot on the skimmer cup position with the O-ring.

My bubble problem got worse the other day after I cleaned the collection cup. I didn't pay any real attention to the height as I don't get a heck of a lot of anythhing out of the skimmer yet. The odd burst of foam and then nothing for a day or 2. Of course, I've only just put fish in it a couple of weeks ago so the load was pretty much nil.

I'll try lowering the cup height a bit and see how that goes.

The prefilter box isn't terrible expensive (~$35) but I'd like to try and make my own, for the heck of it.

project37
03-22-2010, 06:55 PM
The prefilter box isn't terrible expensive (~$35) but I'd like to try and make my own, for the heck of it.[/QUOTE]

If you ever get up to Edmonton I have a prefilter box on my Remora C Pro that you can measure up for reference. It would not be hard to fabricate.

DiverDude
03-22-2010, 08:35 PM
The Remora and Remora Pro are different sizes and have different pre-filters but frankly, just being able to see how the whole thing goes together vis-a-vis the pump and water levels etc. would probably be enough.

Thanks though !

project37
03-22-2010, 08:41 PM
If I get a chance I will measure up the one on my Remora Pro anyway so you have an idea of what size box you will need to fabricate. Good luck with the mods.